Texture Feature Extraction and Classification for Iris Diagnosis
Appling computer aided techniques in iris image processing, and combining occidental iridology with the traditional Chinese medicine is a challenging research area in digital image processing and artificial intelligence. This paper proposes an iridology model that consists the iris image pre-processing, texture feature analysis and disease classification. To the pre-processing, a 2-step iris localization approach is proposed; a 2-D Gabor filter based texture analysis and a texture fractal dimension estimation method are proposed for pathological feature extraction; and at last support vector machines are constructed to recognize 2 typical diseases such as the alimentary canal disease and the nerve system disease. Experimental results show that the proposed iridology diagnosis model is quite effective and promising for medical diagnosis and health surveillance for both hospital and public use.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Boles, W.W.: A Wavelet Transform Based Technique for the Recognition of The Human Iris. In: International Symposium of Signal Processing and Its Applications, Australia, pp. 601–604 (1996)Google Scholar
- 4.Wang, Y.h., Zhu, Y., Tan, T.: Iris based personality identification. Journal of Automation 28(1), 1–10 (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Ma, B.y.: Human is part of the world. Chinese Basic TCM Journal 10(2), 8–10 (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Fang, H., Tingli, L.: Research on an iris recognition system. Computer Engineering and Application 17, 82–84 (2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Colton, J., Colton, S.: Iridology, 10–25 (1991) Google Scholar
- 10.Ma, L., Wang, Y.h., Tan, T.: Iris Recognition Based on Multi-channel Gabor Filtering. In: The 5th Asian Conf. Computer Vision, Melbourne, pp. 279–283 (2002)Google Scholar
- 11.Chang, H.T., Kao, C.J.: Fractal Block Coding Using Simplified Finite-state Algorithm. In: Proceeding of SPIE, pp. 536–544 (1995)Google Scholar
- 12.Gambini, M.M., Jacobo, D.: SAR Image Segmentation through Bspline Deformable Contours and Fractal Dimension. International Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing 15(23), 101–106 (2004)Google Scholar
- 14.Liu, H., Li, J.T., Cui, G.: Writer Identification using Support Vector Machine and Texture Feature. Journal of Computer-Aided Design and Computer Graphics 15(12), 1479–1484 (2003)Google Scholar