Selfish Routing and Path Coloring in All-Optical Networks
We study routing and path coloring problems in all-optical networks as non-cooperative games. We especially focus on oblivious payment functions, that is, functions that charge a player according to her own strategy only.
We first strengthen a known relation between such games and online routing and path coloring. In particular, we show that the price of anarchy of such games is lower-bounded by, and in several cases precisely equal to, the competitive ratio of appropriate modifications of the First Fit algorithm.
Based on this framework we provide results for two classes of games in ring networks: in Selfish Routing and Path Coloring a player must determine both a routing and a coloring for her request, while in Selfish Path Coloring the routing is predetermined and only a coloring of requests needs to be specified. We prove specific upper and lower bounds on the price of anarchy of these games under various payment functions.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Raghavan, P., Upfal, E.: Efficient routing in all-optical networks. In: STOC. Proc. of the 26th Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, pp. 134–143 (1994)Google Scholar
- 5.Gargano, L., Vaccaro, U.: Routing in all-optical networks: Algorithmic and graph theoretic problems. Numbers, Information and Complexity, pp. 555–578. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht (2000)Google Scholar
- 7.Mavronicolas, M., Spirakis, P.G.: The price of selfish routing. In: STOC. Proc. of the 33rd Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, pp. 510–519 (2001)Google Scholar
- 10.Bilò, V., Flammini, M., Moscardelli, L.: On Nash equilibria in non-cooperative all-optical networks. In: Diekert, V., Durand, B. (eds.) STACS 2005. LNCS, vol. 3404, pp. 448–459. Springer, Heidelberg (2005)Google Scholar
- 11.Bilò, V., Moscardelli, L.: The price of anarchy in all-optical networks. In: Kralovic, R., Sýkora, O. (eds.) SIROCCO 2004. LNCS, vol. 3104, pp. 13–22. Springer, Heidelberg (2004)Google Scholar
- 13.Pemmaraju, S.V., Raman, R., Varadarajan, K.R.: Max-coloring and online coloring with bandwidths on interval graphs (manuscript, 2006)Google Scholar