A Structured Mesh Overlay Network for P2P Applications on Mobile Ad Hoc Networks
In this paper, we describe a Structured Mesh Overlay Network (SMON) based on a Distributed Hash Table (DHT) technique on top of a proactive routing protocol, Optimized Link State Routing (OLSR). SMON is a P2P cross-layer overlay network based on concept of CrossROAD. CrossROAD uses a pure flooding technique to form and maintain an overlay network. The broadcast mechanism has a negative effect on bandwidth usage of the network. On the other hand, we introduce a new algorithm for overlay formation and maintenance in order to reduce a number of overlay broadcast messages. The simulation results show that SMON reduces the number of overlay control overhead around 95% as compared to CrossROAD, while it maintains high query success ratio and low query delay.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Li, Z., Yin, X., Yao, P., Huang, J.: Implementation of P2P Computing in Design of MANET Routing Protocol. In: Proceedings of the First International Multi-Symposiums on Computer and Computational Sciences (April 2006)Google Scholar
- 2.Pucha, H., Das, S.M., Hu, Y.C.: Ekta: An Efficient DHT Substrate for Distributed Applications in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks. In: Proceedings of the Sixth IEEE Workshop on Mobile Computing Systems and Applications (December 2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Zahn, T., Schiller, J.: Performance Evaluation of a DHT-based Approach to Resource Discovery in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks. In: Proceedings of the Fourth Annual IEEE International Conference on Wireless on demand Network Systems and Services (January 2007)Google Scholar
- 4.Delmastro, F.: From Pastry to CrossROAD: CROSS-layer Ring Overlay for AD hoc Networks. In: Third IEEE International Conference on Pervasive Computing and Communications Workshops (March 2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Kanchanasut, K., Tunpan, A., Awal, M.A., Das, D.K., Wongsaardsakul, T., Tsuchimoto, Y.: A Multimedia Communication System for Collaborative Emergency Response Operation in Disaster-affected Areas, Technical Report No. TR_2007–1 January 2007, intERLab, Asian Institute of Technology (2007)Google Scholar