Unifying Denotational Semantics with Operational Semantics for Web Services
Web Services have become more and more important in these years, and BPEL4WS (BPEL) is a de facto standard for the web service composition and orchestration. It contains several distinct features, including the scope-based compensation and fault handling mechanism.
The denotational semantics and operational semantics have been explored for BPEL. The two approaches should be consistent. This paper considers the unifying of these two semantics. Our approach is to derive the denotational semantics from operational semantics for BPEL, which aims for the consistency of the two models. Moreover, the derivation can be applied in exploring the program equivalence easily, especially for parallel programs.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Butler, M.J., Ferreira, C.: An operational semantics for StAC, a language for modelling long-running business transactions. In: De Nicola, R., Ferrari, G.L., Meredith, G. (eds.) COORDINATION 2004. LNCS, vol. 2949, pp. 87–104. Springer, Heidelberg (2004)Google Scholar
- 2.Curbera, F., Goland, Y., Klein, J., Leymann, F., Roller, D., Satish Thatte, M., Weerawarana, S.: Business Process Execution Language for Web Service (2003), http://www.siebel.com/bpel
- 5.Hoare, C.A.R., He, J.: Unifying Theories of Programming. Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs (1998)Google Scholar
- 6.Leymann, F.: Web Services Flow Language (WSFL 1.0). IBM (2001), http://www-3.ibm.com/software/solutions/webservices/pdf/WSDL.pdf
- 7.Plotkin, G.: A structural approach to operational semantics. Technical Report 19, University of Aahus (1981) Also published in The Journal of Logic and Algebraic Programming 60(61),17–139 (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Thatte, S.: XLANG: Web Service for Business Process Design. Microsoft (2001), http://www.gotdotnet.com/team/xml_wsspecs/xlang-c/default.html
- 9.Zhu, H.: Linking the Semantics of a Multithreaded Discrete Event Simulation Language. PhD thesis, London South Bank University (February 2005)Google Scholar
- 10.Zhu, H., He, J., Pu, G., Li, J.: An operational approach to BPEL-like programming. In: Proc. SEW-31: 31st IEEE Software Engineering Workshop, IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos (2007)Google Scholar