Pari-Mutuel Markets: Mechanisms and Performance
Recently, there has been an increase in the usage of centrally managed markets which are run by some form of pari-mutuel mechanism. A pari-mutuel mechanism is characterized by the ability to shield the market organizer from financial risk by paying the winners from the stakes of the losers. The recent introduction of new, modified pari-mutuel methods has spurred the growth of prediction markets as well as new financial derivative markets. Coinciding with this increased usage, there has been much work on the research front which has produced several mechanisms and a slew of interesting results. We will introduce a new pari-mutuel market-maker mechanism with many positive qualities including convexity, truthfulness and strong performance. Additionally, we will provide the first quantitative performance comparison of some of the existing pari-mutuel market-maker mechanisms.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Baron, K., Lange, J.: From Horses to Hedging. Risk Magazine, vol. 16(2) (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Cass, D.: Goldman and Deutsche to Launch Economic Data Options. Risk August 2002 (2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Fortnow, L., Killian, J., Pennock, D., Wellman, M.: Betting Boolean-Style: A Framework for Trading in Securities Based on Logical Formulas. In: Proceedings of Electronic Commerce 2003 (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Goldman, A.J., Tucker, A.W.: Theory of linear programming. In: Kuhn, H.W., Tucker, A.W. (eds.) Linear Inequalities and Related Systems. Annals of Mathematical Studies, vol. 38, pp. 53–97 (1956)Google Scholar
- 8.Morrison, D.: Deutsche Bank adopts auction technology to trade economic statistics. Waters Magazine May 2002 (2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Pennock, D.: A Dynamic pari-mutuel market for hedging, wagering, and information aggregation. In: Proceedings of Electronic Commerce 2004 (2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Pennock, D.: Implementing Hanson’s Market Maker (2006), http://blog.oddhead.com/2006/10/30/implementing-hansons-market-maker/
- 11.Pennock, D., Chen, Y., Dooley, M.: Dynamic Pari-mutuel Market Working Paper (2006)Google Scholar
- 12.Peters, M., So, A., Ye, Y.: A Convex Parimutuel Formulation for Contingent Claim Markets Working Paper (2005), http://www.stanford.edu/~yyye/cpcam-ec.pdf
- 13.Ye, Y.: A Path to the Arrow–Debreu Competitive Market Equilibrium Mathematical Programming, Online (December 2006)Google Scholar