Supporting Student Collaboration for Image Indexing
We describe the Image Tagger system – a web-based tool for supporting collaborative image indexing by students. The tool has been used in three successive graduate-level classes on content representation. To fully satisfy the class’ requirements and provide support for student indexing activities, it was designed and developed iteratively in accordance with the feedback and suggestions from the students as well as the instructor. The tool was well received by most students. They expressed a positive opinion toward collaboration support and thought it enhanced the overall learning experience in the class’ image indexing project.
KeywordsCollaboration Digital Library Education Image Indexing Metadata Repositories User Interfaces
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Achananuparp, P., Allen, R.B.: Developing a Student-Friendly Repository for Teaching Principles of Repository Management, DigCCurr Symposium. Chapel Hill, NC (2007)Google Scholar
- 2.Getty, Art & Architecture Thesaurus, http://www.getty.edu/research/conducting_research/vocabularies/aat/
- 3.Getty Thesaurus of Geographic Names, http://www.getty.edu/research/conducting_research/vocabularies/tgn/
- 4.Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, Thesaurus for Graphic Materials, Cataloging Distribution Service, Library of Congress, Washington, D.C (1995)Google Scholar
- 6.Jörgensen, C.: Image Retrieval: Theory and Research. Scarecrow Press, Lanham, MD (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Peterson, E.: Beneath the metadata: Some philosophical problems with Folksonomies. DLIB Magazine (November 2006)Google Scholar
- 11.Shroeter, R., Hunter, J., Kosovic, D.: Vannotea - A collaborative video indexing, annotation, and discussion system for broadband networks. In: K-CAP, Workshop on Knowledge Markup and Semantic Annotation (2004)Google Scholar