DLPKH – Distributed Logical Public-Key Hierarchy
Decentralized group key management schemes for supporting secure group communication systems have been studied in the two flavors of contributory key agreement and decentralized key distribution. However, the primary focus has been on the former because the latter have been criticized for additional overheads of establishing secure channels and for the possibility of weak keys produced by the generating entity. In this work we develop a novel decentralized key distribution that uses public-key trees to eliminate the overheads of establishing secure channels and employs a practical approach of partial contribution to minimize the possibility of weak keys. The result is a simple and secure scheme whose performance is significantly better than previous schemes that involve contribution or distribution.
KeywordsGroup key management key agreement decentralized key distribution logical key hierarchy public-key trees
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Bresson, E., Catalano, D.: Constant round authenticated group key agreement via distributed computation. In: Public Key Cryptography, pp. 115–129 (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Dutta, R., Barua, R.: Dynamic group key agreement in tree-based setting. In: Boyd, C., González Nieto, J.M. (eds.) ACISP 2005. LNCS, vol. 3574, pp. 101–112. Springer, Heidelberg (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Inoue, D., Kuroda, M.: Fdlkh: Fully decentralized key management scheme on logical key hierarchy. In: Jakobsson, M., Yung, M., Zhou, J. (eds.) ACNS 2004. LNCS, vol. 3089, pp. 339–354. Springer, Heidelberg (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Katz, J., Yung, M.: Scalable protocols for authenticated group key exchange. In: Boneh, D. (ed.) CRYPTO 2003. LNCS, vol. 2729, pp. 110–125. Springer, Heidelberg (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Kim, Y., Perrig, A., Tsudik, G.: Simple and fault-tolerant key agreement for dynamic collaborative groups. In: ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security, pp. 235–244 (2000)Google Scholar
- 13.Steer, D.G., Strawczynski, L., Diffie, W., Wiener, M.: A secure audio teleconference system. In: Goldwasser, S. (ed.) CRYPTO 1988. LNCS, vol. 403, pp. 520–528. Springer, Heidelberg (1990)Google Scholar