Automatic Detection of Human Fall in Video
In this paper, we present an approach for human fall detection, which has important applications in the field of safety and security. The proposed approach consists of two parts: object detection and the use of a fall model. We use an adaptive background subtraction method to detect a moving object and mark it with its minimum-bounding box. The fall model uses a set of extracted features to analyze, detect and confirm a fall. We implement a two-state finite state machine (FSM) to continuously monitor people and their activities. Experimental results show that our method can detect most of the possible types of single human falls quite accurately.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Marquis-Faulkes, F., McKenna, S.J., Newell, A.F., Gregor, P.: Gathering the requirements for a fall monitor using drama and video with older people. Technology and Disability 17, 227–236 (2005)Google Scholar
- 2.Tao, J., Turjo, M., Wong, M., Wang, M., Tan, Y.: Fall incidents detection for intelligent video surveillance. In: Fifth International Conference on Information, Communication and Signal Processing, pp. 1590–1594 (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Luo, S., Hu, Q.: A dynamic motion pattern analysis approach to fall detection. In: IEEE International workshop in Biomedical Circuit and Systems (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Alwan, M., Rajendran, P.J.: A smart and passive floor-vibration based fall detector for elderly. Information and Communication Technologies 1, 1003–1007 (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Ugur Toreyin, B., Dedeoglu, Y., Enis Cetin, A.: HMM based falling person detection using both audio and video. In: Proc. IEEE Conf. Signal Processing and Communication Application (14th) (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Miaou, S., Sung, P., Huang, C.: A Customized Human Fall Detection System using omni-camera images and personal information. In: Proc. of the 1st Distributed Diagnosis and Home Healthcare (D2H2) Conference, Arlington, Virginia, USA (2006)Google Scholar
- 8.Rougier, C., Meunier, J.: Demo: Fall detection using 3D head trajectory extracted from a single camera video sequence. Journal of Telemedicine and Telecare 11(4) (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Stauffer, C., Grimson, W.E.L.: Adaptive background mixture model for real time tracking. In: Proc. IEEE Conf. Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition CVPR 1999, pp. 246–252 (1999)Google Scholar