The PerCues Framework and Its Application for Sustainable Mobility
This paper presents a framework, design and study of an ambient persuasive interface. We introduce a novel framework of persua sive Cues in Ambient Intelligence (perCues). Based on this framework we designed an application for mobile devices. The application aims to persuade people to abstain from using their cars and to use public mass transportation instead in order to reduce emissions. It contains a bus schedule and information about the pollution status. We evaluated the application in two successive studies regarding user acceptance, oppor tune moments of use and persuasive effects. The perCues received a high acceptance due to its benefit for the users. The results confirm the im portance of opportune moment and user acceptance for persuasion. The findings also indicate the persuasive potential of perCues.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Aarts, E., Marzano, S.: The New Everyday: Views on Ambient Intelligence. 010 Publishers, Rotterdam (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Weiser, M.: The computer for the 21st century. Scientific American, pp. 94–104 (1991)Google Scholar
- 5.Lévy, P.: Collective Intelligence: Mankind’s Emerging World in Cyberspace. Plenum Publishing Corp., Cambridge, MA (1997)Google Scholar
- 6.Schmidt, A.: Interactive context-aware systems interacting with ambient intelligence. In: Riva, G., Vatalaro, F., Davide, F., Alcañiz, M. (eds.) Ambient Intelligence, pp. 159–178. IOS Press, Amsterdam (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Iachello, G., Truong, K.N., Abowd, G.D., Hayes, G.R., Stevens, M.: Prototyping and sampling experience to evaluate ubiquitous computing privacy in the real world. In: Proc. CHI 2006, pp. 1009–1018. ACM Press, New York (2006)Google Scholar
- 8.Fogg, B.J.: Persuasive technology using computers to change what we think and do. Morgan Kaufman, San Francisco, CA (2003)Google Scholar