Dynamic Vehicle Routing with Drivers’ Working Hours
Applications, restrictions to drivers’working hours have only received very little attention in the vehicle routing literature. In this paper we consider a rich dynamic vehicle routing problem in which transportation requests arrive dynamically and the new EU drivers’ working hour regulations, that entered into force in April 2007, must be considered.We present two algorithms for solving the problem under investigation and perform computational experiments that clearly indicate that regulations concerning drivers’ working hours can have a significant impact on the performance of algorithms which are competitive when drivers’ working hours are not considered.
KeywordsRest Period Variable Neighbourhood Dynamic Vehicle Road Transport Central Depot
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- European Union, “Regulation (EC) No 561/2006 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 15 March 2006 on the harmonisation of certain social legislation relating to road transport and amending Council Regulations (EEC) No 3821/85 and (EC) No 2135/98 and repealing Council Regulation (EEC) No 3820/85,” Official Journal of the European Union L 102, 11.04.2006, 2006.Google Scholar
- A. Goel and V. Gruhn. Integration of telematics for efficient management of carrier operations. In Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on e-Business Engineering, p. 404–408, 2005. IEEE Society. ISBN 0-7695-2430-3.Google Scholar
- A. Goel and V. Gruhn. Drivers’ working hours in vehicle routing and scheduling. In Proceedings of the 9th International IEEE Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems, p. 1280-1285, 2006. IEEE Society. ISBN: 1-4244-0094-5.Google Scholar
- A. Goel and V. Gruhn. A General Vehicle Routing Problem, European Journal of Operational Research, doi:10.1016/j.ejor.2006.12.065. 2007.Google Scholar
- H.N. Psaraftis. Dynamic vehicle routing problems. In B.L. Golden and A.A. Assad, eds., Vehicle routing: Methods and studies, p. 233–248. North-Holland Amsterdam, 1988.Google Scholar