FPGA Implementation of a Feature Detection and Tracking Algorithm for Real-time Applications
An efficient algorithm to detect, correlate, and track features in a scene was implemented on an FPGA in order to obtain real-time performance. The algorithm implemented was a Harris Feature Detector combined with a correlator based on a priority queue of feature strengths that considered minimum distances between features. The remaining processing of frame to frame movement is completed in software to determine an affine homography including translation, rotation, and scaling. A RANSAC method is used to remove mismatched features and increase accuracy. This implementation was designed specifically for use as an onboard vision solution in determining movement of small unmanned air vehicles that have size, weight, and power limitations.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Beard, R., Kingston, D., Quigley, M., Snyder, D., Christiansen, R., Johnson, W., McLain, T., Goodrich, M.: Autonomous vehicle technologies for small fixed wing uavs. AIAA Journal of Aerospace Computing, Information, and Communication 2(1), 92–108 (2005)Google Scholar
- 2.Harris, C., Stephens, M.: A combined corner and edge detector. In: Alvey Vision Conference, vol. 15 (1988)Google Scholar
- 3.Hartley, R., Zisserman, A.: Multiple view geometry in computer visiond. Cambridge University Press, New York, NY, USA (2000)Google Scholar
- 4.David, L.: Johansen. Video Stabilization and Object Localization Using Feature Tracking with Small UAV Video. PhD thesis, Brigham Young University (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Kanazawa, Y., Kanatani, K.: Robust image matching under a large disparity. Workshop on Science of Computer Vision, 46–52 (2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Ma, Y., Soatto, S., Kosecka, J., Sastry, S.S.: An Invitation to 3-D Vision: From Images to Geometric Models. In: Interdisciplinary Applied Mathematics, 1st edn., vol. 26, Springer, Heidelberg (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Thunuguntla, S.S., Gunturk, B.K.: Feature-based image registration in log-polar domain. In: ICASSP 2005. Proceedings IEEE International Conference, Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, March 18-23, 2005, vol. 2, pp. 853–856. IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos (2005)Google Scholar