A Service-Oriented Platform for the Enhancement and Effectiveness of the Collaborative Learning Process in Distributed Environments
Modern on-line collaborative learning environments are to enable and scale the involvement of an increasing large number of single/group participants who can geographically be distributed, and who need to transparently share a huge variety of both software and hardware distributed learning resources. As a result, collaborative learning applications are to overcome important non-functional requirements arisen in distributed environments, such as scalability, flexibility, availability, interoperability, and integration of different, heterogeneous, and legacy collaborative learning systems. In this paper, we present a generic platform, called Collaborative Learning Purpose Library, which is based on flexible fine-grained Web-services for the systematical construction of collaborative learning applications that need to meet demanding non-functional requirements. The ultimate aim of this platform is to enhance and improve the on-line collaborative learning experience and outcome in highly distributed environments.
KeywordsCollaborative Learning Discussion Forum Discussion Process Window Server Authentication User Interface
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Koschmann, T.: Paradigm shifts and instructional technology. In: Koschmann, T. (ed.) CSCL: Theory and Practice of an Emerging Paradigm, pp. 1–23. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Mahwah (1996)Google Scholar
- 2.Dillenbourg, P.: Introduction; What do you mean by Collaborative Learning. In: Collaborative learning. Cognitive and computational approaches, pp. 1–19. Elsevier Science, Oxford (1999)Google Scholar
- 3.Foster, I., Kesselman, C.: The Grid: Blueprint for a Future Computing Infrastructure, pp. 15–52. Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco (1998)Google Scholar
- 4.Caballé, S.: On the Advantages of Using Web & Grid Services for the Development of Collaborative Learning Management Systems. In: Proceedings of the 3PGIC 2007, Vienna, Austria (2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Web Services Architecture Document. W3C Working Group (2004), http://www.w3.org/TR/ws-arch/ (Web page as of September 2007)
- 6.Caballé, S., Daradoumis, Th., Xhafa, F.: A Generic Platform for the Systematic Construction of Knowledge-based Collaborative Learning Applications. In: Caballé, S. (ed.) Architecture Solutions for e-Learning Systems, Idea Group Press, USA (2007)Google Scholar
- 7.Caballé, S., Daradoumis, T., Xhafa, F.: A Model for the Efficient Representation and Management of Online Collaborative Learning Interactions. In: Cunningham, P., Cunningham, M. (eds.) Building the Knowledge Economy: Issues, Applications and Case Studies, pp. 1485–1492. IOS Press, Amsterdam (2006)Google Scholar