Replication-Based Partial Dynamic Scheduling on Heterogeneous Network Processors
It is a great challenge to map network processing tasks to processing resources of advanced network processors, which are heterogeneous and multi-threading multiprocessor System-on-Chip. This paper proposes a novel scheduling algorithm, called Replication-based Partial Dynamic Scheduling (RPDS). It aims to improve the NP performance by combining the strategies of partial dynamic mapping and task replication with a 2-phase scheduling. RPDS differs from existing solutions in several aspects, e.g., the processing elements are heterogeneous, fully-connected, and multi-threading, the application is decomposed into directed acyclic graph tasks with continuous data-packets, and scheduling is conducted at both of initialization and run-time. Experimental results showed our algorithm could increase the largest average throughput by about 30% than those without dynamic phase replication.
Keywordsscheduling network processors task replication partial dynamic scheduling directed acyclic graph
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Yan, S., Zhou, X., Wang, L., Wang, H.: GA-Based Automated Task Assignment on Network Processors. In: ICPADS 2005. Proc. of the 11th international Conference on Parallel and Distributed Systems, July 20–22, 2005, pp. 112–118. IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Franklin, M., Datar, S.: Pipeline task scheduling on network processors. In: Proc. of Third Network Processor Workshop in conjunction with Tenth International Symposium on High Performance Computer Architecture (HPCA-10), pp. 103–119 (February 2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Yang, L., Gohad, T., Ghosh, P., Sinha, D., Sen, A., Richa, A.: Resource mapping and scheduling for heterogeneous network processor systems. In: ANCS 2005. Proc. of the 2005 Symposium on Architecture for Networking and Communications Systems, pp. 19–28 (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Ramaswamy, R., Weng, N., Wolf, T.: Application Analysis and Resource Mapping for Heterogeneous Network Processor Architectures. In: Proc. of Network Processor Workshop, Madrid, Spain, pp. 103–119 (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Weng, N., Wolf, T.: Pipelining vs. Multiprocessors-choosing the Right Network Processor System Topology. In: Proc. of ANCHOR 2004, Munich, Germany (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Weng, N., Wolf, T.: Profiling and mapping of parallel workloads on network processors. In: Proc. of 20th ACM Symposium on Applied Computing (SAC) (March 2005)Google Scholar