Matching of Hypergraphs — Algorithms, Applications, and Experiments
In this chapter we introduce hypergraphs as a generalisation of graphs for object representation in structural pattern recognition. We also propose extensions of algorithms for the matching and error-tolerant matching of graphs to the case of hypergraphs, including the edit distance of hypergraphs. In a series of experiments, we demonstrate the practical applicability of the proposed hypergraph matching algorithms and show some of the advantages of hypergraphs over conventional graphs.
KeywordsStructural pattern recognition graph graph matching hypergraph hypergraph matching
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.C. Bretto and L. Gillibert. Hypergraph-based image representation. In Proceedings of the 5th International Workshop on Graph-Based Representations in Pattern Recognition, volume 3434, LNCS, pages 1–11. Springer, Berlin Heidelberg New York, 2005Google Scholar
- 6.D. Demko. Generalization of two hypergraphs. Algorithm of calculation of the greatest sub-hypergraph common to two hypergraphs annotated by semantic information. In Graph Based Representations in Pattern Recognition, Computing. Supplement 12, pages 1–10. Springer, Berlin Heidelberg New York, 1998Google Scholar
- 7.H. Bunke, P. Dickinson, M. Kraetzl. Theoretical and algorithmic framework for hypergraph matching. In Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Image Analysis and Processing, volume 3617, LNCS, pages 463–470. Springer, Berlin Heidelberg New York, 2005Google Scholar
- 19.P. Foggia, C. Sansone, M. Vento. A database of graphs for isomorphism and sub-graph isomorphism benchmarking. In Proceedings of the 3rd International Workshop on Graph-Based Representations in Pattern Recognition, 176–188, 2001Google Scholar
- 22.C. Watson, C. Wilson. NIST special database 4, fingerprint database, 1992Google Scholar
- 24.M. Neuhaus, H. Bunke. A graph matching based approach to fingerprint classification using directional variance. In Proceedings of 5th International Conference on Audio- and Video-Based Biometric Person Authentication, volume 3546, LNCS, pages 191–200. Springer, Berlin, Heidleberg, New York, 2005Google Scholar
- 25.M. Neuhaus, K. Riesen, H. Bunke. Fast suboptimal algorithms for the computation of graph edit distance. In Proceedings of the Institute Workshop on Structural, and Syntactical Pattern Recognition, volume 4109, LNCS, pages 163–172. Springer, Berlin Heidelberg New York, 2006Google Scholar
- 26.K. Riesen, M. Neuhaus, H. Bunke. Bipartite graph matching for computing the edit distance of graphs. In F. Escolano and M. Vento, editors, Graph-Based Representations in Pattern Recognition, LNCS 4538, Springer, 2007, 1–12.Google Scholar