A Temporal and Visual Analysis-Based Approach to Commercial Detection in News Video
The detection of commercials in news video has been a challenging problem because of the diversity of the production styles of commercial programs. In this paper, the authors present a novel algorithm for the detection of commercials in news program. By the method suggested, firstly shot transition detection and anchorman shot recognition are conducted, then clustering analysis is employed to label commercial blocks roughly, finally the accurate boundaries of the commercials are located by analyzing the average duration of preceding and subsequent shots and the visual features of the shots, such as color, saturation and edge distribution. The experiment results show that the proposed algorithm is effective with high precision.
KeywordsCommercial detection clustering temporal and visual features
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Albiol, A., Fulla, M.J., Albiol, A., Torres, L.: Detection of TV commercials. In: IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing, vol. 3, pp. 541–544. IEEE Press, Montreal, Canada (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Sánchez, J.M., Binefa, X.: Local color analysis for scene break detection applied to TV commercials recognition. In: Huijsmans, D.P., Smeulders, A.W.M. (eds.) VISUAL 1999. LNCS, vol. 1614, pp. 237–244. Springer, Heidelberg (1999)Google Scholar
- 5.Duygulu, P., Chen, M.Y., Hauptmann, A.: Comparison and combination of two novel commercial detection methods. In: IEEE Int. Conf. on Multimedia and Expo, pp. 1267–1270. IEEE Press, Taipei (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Hauptmann, A., Withrock, M.: Story segmentation and detection of commercials in broadcast news video. In: Proceedings of the Advances in Digital Libraries Conference, pp. 168–179. IEEE Computer Society, Washington, D.C. (1998)Google Scholar
- 7.Hua, X.-S., Lu, L., Zhang, H.-J.: Robust learning-based TV commercial detection. In: IEEE Int. Conf. on Multimedia and Expo, pp. 149–152. IEEE Press, Amsterdam, Netherlands (2005)Google Scholar
- 10.Ianeva, T.I., Vries, A.P., Rohrig, H.: Detecting cartoons: a case study in automatic video-genre classification. In: IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo, vol. 2, pp. 449–452. IEEE Press, Baltimore (2003)Google Scholar
- 11.Cutzu, F., Riad, H., Leykin, A.: Estimating the photorealism of images: Distinguishing paintings from photographs. In: IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pp. 305–312. IEEE Press, Wisconsin (2003)Google Scholar