Towards Subject-Specific Models of the Dynamic Heart for Image-Guided Mitral Valve Surgery
Surgeons need a robust interventional system capable of providing reliable, real-time information regarding the position and orientation of the surgical targets and tools to compensate for the lack of direct vision and to enhance manipulation of intracardiac targets during minimally-invasive, off-pump cardiac interventions. In this paper, we describe a novel method for creating dynamic, pre-operative, subject-specific cardiac models containing the surgical targets and surrounding anatomy, and how they are used to augment the intra-operative virtual environment for guidance of valvular interventions. The accuracy of these pre-operative models was established by comparing the target registration error between the mitral valve annulus characterized in the pre-operative images and their equivalent structures manually extracted from 3D US data. On average, the mitral valve annulus was extracted with a 3.1 mm error across all cardiac phases. In addition, we also propose a method for registering the pre-operative models into the intra-operative virtual environment.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Edmunds, L.H.: Why cardiopulmonary bypass makes patients sick: strategies to control the blood-synthetic surface interface. Adv. Card. Surg. 6, 131–167 (1995)Google Scholar
- 5.Suematsu, Y., Marx, G.R., Stoll, J.A., Dupont, P.E., Cleveland, R.O., Howe, R.D., Triedman, J.K., Mihaljevic, T., Mora, B.N., Savord, B.J., Salgo, I.S., del Nido, P.J.: Three-dimensional echo-guided beating-heart surgery without cardiopulmonary bypass: a feasibility study. J. Thorac. Cardiovasc. Surg. 128, 579–587 (2004)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Guiraudon, G.M.: Universal cardiac introducer. Patent Application, US 2005/0137609 A1, Appl. No. 10/736,786 (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Vosburgh, K.G., San José Estépar, R.: Natural orifice transluminal endoscopic surgery (notes): An opportunity for augmented reality guidance. In: Stud Health Technol. Inform., vol. 125, pp. 485–490 (2007)Google Scholar
- 8.Linte, C.A., Wiles, A.D., Moore, J., Wedlake, C., Guiraudon, G.M., Jones, D.L., Bainbridge, D., Peters, T.M.: An augmented reality environment for image-guidance of off-pump mitral valve implantation. In: SPIE. Medical Imaging: Visualization and Image-Guided Procedures, vol. 6509, pp. 65090N–12 (2007)Google Scholar
- 10.Wierzbicki, M.: Subject-specific models of the heart from 4D images. PhD Dissertation, Medical Biophysics, The University of Western Ontario, Canada (2006)Google Scholar
- 11.Moore, J., Drangova, M., Wierzbicki, M., Barron, J., Peters, T.M.: A high-resolution dynamic heart model based on averaged MRI data. In: Ellis, R.E., Peters, T.M. (eds.) MICCAI 2003. LNCS, vol. 2878, pp. 549–555. Springer, Heidelberg (2003)Google Scholar
- 14.Wiles, A.D., Guiraudon, G.M., Moore, J., Wedlake, C., Linte, C.A., Jones, D.L., Bainbridge, D., Peters, T.M.: Navigation accuracy for an intracardiac procedure using virtual reality-enhanced ultrasound. In: SPIE. Medical Imaging: Visualization and Image-Guided Procedures, vol. 6509, pp. 61410W–10 (2007)Google Scholar