Performance Evaluation of a Mobile Agent Based Framework for Security Event Management in IP Networks
Conventional network management protocols are insufficient especially in dealing with frequent security attacks. Our research has developed a Mobile Agent Security framework for Autonomic network Management (MASAM) which intends to address the above limitations. In this paper, we aim to evaluate the performance of the MASAM framework when dealing with security attack event management. The evaluation focuses on the traffic cost comparison between the new framework and SNMPv3. Event management traffic models are proposed and utilised to facilitate this evaluation. In order to validate the derived formulas, a corresponding set of simulation experiments have been conducted and the results are analysed. Positive evaluation results have been obtained from three focus points: the entire network, the manager and the managed device. We conclude that the MASAM framework reduces the amount of management traffic generated to respond to security attacks and also scales better than SNMP as a function of network size.
KeywordsSecurity Management Mobile Agent SNMP Performance Evaluation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Chatzimisios, P.: Security issues and vulnerabilities of the SNMP protocol. In: Proceeding of IEEE Intl. Conference on Electrical and Electronics Engineering, pp. 74–77 (June 2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Harrington, D., Schoenwaelder, J.: Transport Subsystem for the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP). Internet-Draft, IETF (March 2007)Google Scholar
- 4.Harrington, D.: Secure Shell Transport Model for SNMP. Internet-Draft, IETF (May 2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Zhou, Y., Xiao, D.: Mobile agent-based policy management for wireless sensor networks. In: Proceeding of IEEE International Conference on Wireless Communications, Networking and Mobile Computing, vol. 2, pp. 1207–1210 (September 2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Fong, C.-h., Parr, G., Morrow, P.: A Comparison of Mobile Agent and SNMP Message Passing for Network Security Management Using Event Cases. In: Proceeding of 6th IEEE International Workshop on IP Operations and Management, IFIP/IEEE MANWEEK Conference 2006, Ireland, pp. 156–167 (September 2006)Google Scholar
- 7.Gordon, L.A., Loeb, M.P., Lucyshyn, W., Richardson, R.: CSI/FBI Computer Crime and Security Survey. Computer Security Institute (CSI) (2006), Available online at http://gocsi.com/forms/fbi/csi_fbi_survey.jhtml
- 8.Tang, L., Pagurek, B.: A comparative evaluation of mobile agent performance for network management. In: Proceedings of 9th Annual IEEE International Conference on Engineering of Computer-Based Systems, pp. 258–267 (2002)Google Scholar
- 10.To, H., Krishnaswamy, S., Srinivasan, B.: Mobile agents for network management: when and when not. In: Proceedings of ACM Symposium on Applied Computing, pp. 47–53 (2005)Google Scholar