The Importance of Web 2.0 to the 50-Plus
What is the importance of Web 2.0 for older people? This paper answers this question and provides suggestions for how organizations can use Web 2.0 to improve their online interactions with the older market. The chapter analyses the differences between the historical way that Web sites have been created and used and the opportunities and dangers of using Web 2.0 technologies. Social networking and Web video are the two best known applications of Web 2.0 and are discussed in detail. The author shows that whilst both these applications are associated with young people they are intrinsically “age-neutral” and are equally appropriate to older Web users. The chapter describes how social networking and Web video are likely to develop and the resulting implications upon the channel strategy of organizations targeting the older Web user.
KeywordsSocial Networking Social Networking Site Baby Boomer Japanese Market Channel Strategy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.D. Boyd, N. Ellison, J Comp-Mediated Commun 131, 11 2007, http://jcmc.indiana.edu/vol13/issue1/boyd.ellison.html. Accessed 10 Jan 2008Google Scholar
- 3.Comscore, Social networking goes global (Comscore, 2007), http://www.comscore.com/press/release.asp?press=1555. Accessed 2 Jan 2008
- 4.Directorate for Science, Technology and Industry, OECD broadband statistics: total broad- band subscribers by country (Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, Paris, 2007) http://www.oecd.org/sti/ict/broadband. Accessed 2 Jan 2008
- 5.L. Lewis, Financial Times, 6 Dec 2006Google Scholar
- 6.J. Nielsen, Web usability for senior citizens (Nielsen Norman Group, Fremont, 2002) http://www.nngroup.com/reports/seniors/ Accessed 13 Jun 2008
- 7.J. Nielsen, Web 2.0 can be dangerous. . . (2007), http://www.useit.com/alertbox/web-2.html. Accessed 2 Jan 2008
- 8.T. O’Reilly, Web 2.0 compact definition: trying again (2006), http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2000/12/web 20 compact.html. Accessed 2 Jan 2008
- 9.A. Ricadela, BusinessWeek, 6 Aug 2007, http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/aug2007/tc2007085 051788.htm. Accessed 2 Jan 2008
- 10.C. Schoenberger, How to make friends, Japanese-style (Forbes.com, 2007), http://www.forbes.com/technology/2007/12/18/mixi-japan-mobile-tech-cz cs 1218mixi.html. Accessed 2 Jan 2008
- 11.D. Stroud, The 50-plus market: why the future is age-neutral when it comes to marketing and branding strategies (Kogan Page, London, 2006), ISBN-10: 074944939XGoogle Scholar
- 13.R. Worcester, Just who does the internet reach? (Ipsos, London, 2007), http://www.ipsos- Accessed 13 Jun 2008