Cross-Lingual Romanian to English Question Answering at CLEF 2006
This paper describes the development of a Question Answering (QA) system and its evaluation results in the Romanian-English cross-lingual track organized as part of the CLEF 2006 campaign. The development stages of the cross-lingual Question Answering system are described incrementally throughout the paper, at the same time pinpointing the problems that occurred and the way they were addressed. The system adheres to the classical architecture for QA systems, debuting with question processing followed, after term translation, by information retrieval and answer extraction. Besides the common QA difficulties, the track posed some specific problems, such as the lack of a reliable translation engine from Romanian into English, and the need to evaluate each module individually for a better insight into the system’s failures.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Fellbaum, C.: WordNet: An Eletronic Lexical Database. The MIT Press, Cambridge (1998)Google Scholar
- 2.Harabagiu, S., Moldovan, D.: Question Answering. Oxford Handbook of Computational Linguistics, 560–582 (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Ion, R.: Automatic semantic disambiguation methods. Applications for English and Romanian (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Kouylekov, M., Magnini, B., Negri, M., Tanev, H.: ITC-irst at TREC-2003: the DIOGENE QA system. In: Proceedings of the Twelvth Text Retrieval Conference (TREC-12) (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Pekar, V., Krkoska, M., Staab, S.: Feature weighting for cooccurrence-based classification of words. In: Proceedings of the 20th International Conference on Computational Linguistics (COLING 2004) (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Puscasu, G.: A Framework for Temporal Resolution. In: Proceedings of the 4th Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC 2004) (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.QA@CLEF (2006), http://clef-qa.itc.it/CLEF-2006.html
- 9.Tufis, D.: Tagging with Combined Language Models and Large Tagsets. In: Proceedings of the TELRI International Seminar on Text Corpora and Multilingual Lexicography (1999)Google Scholar
- 10.Tufis, D., Cristea, D., Stamou, S.: BalkaNet: Aims, Methods, Results and Perspectives. A General Overview. Romanian Journal on Information Science and Technology. Special Issue on BalkaNet (2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Tufis, D., Barbu Mititelu, V., Ceausu, A., Bozianu, L., Mihaila, C., Manu Magda, M.: New developments of the Romanian WordNet. In: Proceedings of the Workshop on Resources and Tools for Romanian NLP (2006)Google Scholar