A Generic, Self-organizing, and Distributed Bootstrap Service for Peer-to-Peer Networks
In many scenarios, self-organization is the driving force for the use of a peer-to-peer (p2p) network. However, most current p2p networks are not truly self-organizing, as little attention has been paid on how new nodes join a p2p network, the so-called bootstrapping. Current p2p network protocols rely on prior-knowledge of nodes like a list of IP addresses of bootstrap servers or like a list of known peers of a p2p network. However, this kind of prior knowledge conflicts with the self-organization principle and the distributed character of p2p networks. In this paper, we present the design of a generic, self-organizing, and distributed bootstrap service which can be used to bootstrap p2p networks of arbitrary size, even very small, private p2p networks. This bootstrap service works in today’s Internet and it can be easily integrated into existing p2p applications. We present an evaluation of the proposed bootstrapping service showing the efficiency of our approach.
KeywordsDistribute Hash Table Domain Name System Lookup Request Structure Overlay Network Lookup Method
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Cramer, C., Kutzner, K., Fuhrmann, T.: Bootstrapping locality-aware p2p networks. In: ICON 2004. Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Networks, Singapore, November 16–19 2004, vol. 1, pp. 357–361. IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos (2004)Google Scholar
- 2.Castro, M., Druschel, P., Kermarrec, A.-M., Rowstron, A.: One ring to rule them all: service discovery and binding in structured peer-to-peer overlay networks. In: EW10: Proceedings of the 10th workshop on ACM SIGOPS European workshop: beyond the PC, Saint-Emilion, France, pp. 140–145. ACM Press, New York, NY, USA (2002)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Jelasity, M., Montresor, A., Babaoglu, O.: The bootstrapping service. In: ICDCSW 2006. Proceedings of the 26th IEEE International ConferenceWorkshops on Distributed Computing Systems, Washington, DC, USA, p. 11. IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Jelasity, M., van Steen, M.: Large-scale newscast computing on the Internet, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Department of Computer Science, Amsterdam. Technical Report IR-503. Amsterdam, The Netherlands (October 2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Gong, L.: Project JXTA: A technology overview (August 2001), http://www.jxta.org
- 6.Stoica, I., Morris, R., Karger, D., Kaashoek, M.F., Balakrishnan, H.: Chord: A scalable peer-to-peer lookup service for internet applications. In: SIGCOMM 2001, San Diego, California, USA (2001)Google Scholar
- 7.Ratnasamy, S., Francis, P., Handley, M., Karp, R., Schenker, S.: A scalable content-addressable network. In: SIGCOMM 2001. Proceedings of the 2001 conference on Applications, technologies, architectures, and protocols for computer communications, San Diego, California, United States, pp. 161–172. ACM Press, New York, NY, USA (2001)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Dabek, F., Zhao, B., Druschel, P., Kubiatowicz, J., Stoica, I.: Towards a common API for structured peer-to-peer overlays. In: 2nd Int. Workshop on P2P Systems (2003)Google Scholar