Creative Industrial Design and Computer-Based Image Retrieval: The Role of Aesthetics and Affect
A study is reported that examined the effectiveness of computerbased image retrieval as a support tool for creative industrial design. Participants were given a design brief for a concept car, and asked to retrieve images from the web that would provide inspiration for this design task. They then rated various aesthetic, affective, and inspirational aspects of the images, and a second sample of participants rated the search terms that they had used. Emotional inspiration was important to designers, arising in part from a broad semantic theme and in part from the inspirational values of the more ’fundamental’ image properties of colour and layout. The pattern of results suggested that some designers adopted a more risky (less efficient) search strategy in order to access emotional image content. Aesthetic and affective aspects of the retrieved images predicted inspirational value.
KeywordsSearch Term Image Retrieval Image Property Information Retrieval System Semantic Distance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Niblack, W., Barber, R., Equitz, W., Flickner, M.D., Glasman, R.H., Petkovic, D., Yanker, P., Faloutsos, C.: QBIC project: querying images by content, using color, texture, and shape. Storage and Retrieval for Image and Video Databases, SPIE, vol. 173 - 187 (1993)Google Scholar
- 5.Wang, S., Wang, X.: Emotion semantics image retrieval: A brief overview. In: Tao, J., Tan, T., Picard, R.W. (eds.) ACII 2005. LNCS, vol. 3784, Springer, Heidelberg (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Li, B., Goh, K., Chang, E.: Confidence-based dynamic ensemble for image annotation and semantics discovery. In: Proceedings of Multimedia 2003, ACM, New York (2003)Google Scholar
- 10.Baeza-Yates, R., Ribeiro-Neto, B.: Modern Information Retrieval. Addison Wesley, Harlow (1999)Google Scholar
- 12.Westerman, S.J., Kaur, S.: Supporting creative industrial design with computer-based information retrieval. In: European Conference on Cognitive Ergonomics. Covent Garden, London (to be presented, 2007)Google Scholar
- 13.Pereira, F.C., Cardoso, A.: Conceptual blending and the quest for the holy creative process. In: Proceedings of the 2nd Workshop on Creative Systems. ECAI 2002, Lyon, France (2002)Google Scholar
- 15.Kaur, S., Westerman, S.J., Mougenot, C., Sourbe, L., Bouchard, C.: Computer-based support for creativity in Industrial Design. In: Poster presented at the First International Symposium on Culture, Creativity, and Interaction Design (2006)Google Scholar