Finite Model Reasoning on UML Class Diagrams Via Constraint Programming
Finite model reasoning in UML class diagrams is an important task for assessing the quality of the analysis phase in the development of software applications in which it is assumed that the number of objects of the domain is finite. In this paper, we show how to encode finite model reasoning in UML class diagrams as a constraint satisfaction problem (CSP), exploiting techniques developed in description logics. In doing so we set up and solve an intermediate CSP problem to deal with the explosion of “class combinations” arising in the encoding. To solve the resulting CSP problems we rely on the use of off-the-shelf tools for constraint modeling and programming. As a result, we obtain, to the best of our knowledge, the first implemented system that performs finite model reasoning on UML class diagrams.
KeywordsDescription Logic Class Diagram Constraint Satisfaction Problem Model Reasoning Class Hierarchy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Borgida, A., Lenzerini, M., Rosati, R.: Description logics for data bases. In: Baader et al., ch. 16, pp. 462–484 Google Scholar
- 4.Calvanese, D.: Finite model reasoning in description logics. In: Proc. of KR 1996, pp. 292–303 (1996)Google Scholar
- 5.Calvanese, D.: Unrestricted and Finite Model Reasoning in Class-Based Representation Formalisms. PhD thesis, Dip. di Inf. e Sist., Univ. di Roma “La Sapienza” (1996)Google Scholar
- 7.ILOG OPL Studio system version 3.6.1 user’s manual (2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Jacobson, I., Booch, G., Rumbaugh, J.: The Unified Modeling Language User Guide. Addison Wesley Publ. Co., Reading (1998)Google Scholar
- 10.Lutz, C., Sattler, U., Tendera, L.: The complexity of finite model reasoning in description logics. In: Baader, F. (ed.) Automated Deduction – CADE-19. LNCS (LNAI), vol. 2741, pp. 60–74. Springer, Heidelberg (2003)Google Scholar
- 11.Van Hentenryck, P.: The OPL Optimization Programming Language. The MIT Press, Cambridge (1999)Google Scholar