Appositions Versus Double Subject Sentences – What Information the Speech Analysis Brings to a Grammar Debate
We propose a method based on spoken language analysis to deal with controversial syntactic issues; we apply the method to the problem of the double subject sentences in the Romanian language. The double subject construction is a controversial linguistic phenomenon in Romanian. While some researchers accept it as a language ‘curiosity’ (specific only to the Asian languages, but not to the European ones), others consider it apposition-type structure, in order to embody its behavior in the already existing theories. This paper brings a fresh gleam of light over the debate, by presenting what we believe to be the first study on the phonetic analysis of double-subject sentences in order to account for its difference vs. the appositional constructions.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Barbu, V.: Double subject constructions in the Romanian language. A HPSG perspective (in Romanian), in Aspects of the Romanian language dynamics (in Romanian), Ed. Universităţii Bucharest, vol. II, pp. 73–79 (2003)Google Scholar
- 2.Cornilescu, A.: The Double Subject Construction in Romanian. Notes on the Syntax of the Subject, Revue Roumaine de Linguistique, (3-4), 1–45 (1997)Google Scholar
- 3.GoldWave – Audio software, http://www.goldwave.com
- 4.KPE80 – A Klatt Synthesiser and Parameter Editor, http://www.speech.cs.cmu.edu/comp.speech/Section5/Synth/klatt.kpe80.html
- 5.Kumashiro, Toshiyuki, Langacker, Ronald, W.: Double-subject and complex-predicate constructions. Cognitive Linguistics (14-1), 1–45 (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Masahiro, O.: Analyzing Japanese double-subject construction having an adjective predicate. In: Proceedings of the 16th conference on Computational linguistics, Copenhagen, Denmark, vol. 2, pp. 865–870 (1996)Google Scholar
- 7.Praat: doing phonetics by computer, http://www.praat.org
- 8.Romanian Sounds Archive, http://www.etc.tuiasi.ro/sibm/omanian_spoken_language/index.htm
- 9.Teodorescu, H.-N., Feraru, M., Trandabăţ, D.: Studies on the Prosody of the Romanian Language: The Emotional Prosody and the Prosody of Double-Subject Sentences. In: Burileanu, Teodorescu (eds.) Advances in Spoken Language Technology, Romanian Academy Press, pp. 171–182 (2007)Google Scholar
- 10.Teodorescu, H.-N., Feraru, M.: A study on Speech with Manifest Emotions. In: Matoušek, V., Mautner, P. (eds.) Proc. TSD 2007. LNCS, vol. 4629, pp. 254–262. Springer, Heidelberg (2007)Google Scholar
- 11.UCL Phonetics & Linguistics, WASP – Waveform Annotations Spectrograms and Pitch, http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/resource/sfs/wasp.htm