Improved Algorithm of Error-Resilient Entropy Coding Using State Information
This paper proposes an improved algorithm of the error-resilient entropy coding (EREC) to limit error propagation (EP) in variable-length-coding (VLC) bit stream. The main novelties include two folds. First, after each stage of EREC encoding process, the resulting states of all slots and blocks are conveyed as side information and used at decoders to remove the EP caused by those erroneous blocks/slots that have been placed-up/filled-up. Second, the alternate placement (AP) technique is proposed to alleviate the EP caused by those erroneous blocks/slots that are still partially-placed/partially-filled. An in-depth analysis shows that less than three bits per block are required for conveying state information. Experiments are conducted and the results show that our proposed method improves recovery quality significantly.
KeywordsState Information Error Propagation State Transfer Improve Algorithm State Informa
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG11/M2382: Report of Results on Core Experiments on Error Resilience for Motion Data with Structured RVLC-E8 (1997)Google Scholar
- 4.Li, A.H., Fong, M., Wen, J., Villasenor, J.D.: Test Results of Error Resilience with Modified Error Resilient Syntax with Data Partitioning and RVLC. ITU-T Rec. Q15-E-20 (1998)Google Scholar
- 5.Gao, S.S., Tu, G.F.: Robust H.263+ Video Transmission Using Partial Backward Decodable Bit Stream. IEEE T. CSVT 13, 182–187 (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.ISO/IEC 14496-2: Coding of Audio-Visual Objects-Part 2: Visual (MPEG-4 Visual Version 2) (1999)Google Scholar
- 7.Goshi, J., Mohr, A.E., Ladner, R.E., Riskin, E.A., Lippman, A.: Unequal Loss Protection for H.263 Compressed Video. IEEE T. CSVT 15, 412–419 (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Lie, W.-N., Lin, T.-C., Lin, C.-W.: Enhancing Video Error Resilient by Using Data-Embedding Techniques 16, 300–308 (2006)Google Scholar
- 10.Shyu, H.C., Leou, J.J.: Detection and Concealment of Transmission Errors in MPEG Images-a Genetic Algorithm Approach. IEEE T. CSVT 9, 937–948 (1999)Google Scholar