A New Technique for Global and Local Skew Correction in Binary Documents
A new technique for global and local skew correction in binary documents is proposed. The proposed technique performs a connected component analysis and for each connected component, document’s local skew angle is estimated, based on detecting a sequence of other consecutive connected components, at certain directions, within a specified neighborhood. A histogram of all local skew angles is constructed. If the histogram has one peak then global skew correction is performed, otherwise the document has more than one skews. For local skew correction, a page layout analysis is performed based on a boundary growth algorithm at different directions. The exact global or local skew is approached with a least squares line fitting procedure. The accuracy of the technique has been tested using many documents of different skew and it is compared with two other similar techniques.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Postl, W.: Detection of linear oblique structure and skew in digitized documents. In: Proceedings 8th Int. Conf. on Pattern Recognition, pp. 464–468 (1986)Google Scholar
- 7.Baird, H.S.: The skew angle of printed documents. In: O’Gorman, L., Kasturi, R. (eds.) The skew angle of printed documents, pp. 204–208. IEEE CS Press, Los Alamitos (1995)Google Scholar
- 9.Pavlidis, T., Zhou, J.: Page segmentation by white streams. In: Proceedings 1st Int. Conf. Document Analysis and Recognition, pp. 945–953 (1991)Google Scholar
- 10.Ciardiello, G., Scafuro, G., Degrandi, M.T., Spada, M.R., Roccotelli, M.P.: An experimental system for office document handling and text recognition. In: Proceedings 9th Int. Conf. on Pattern Recognition, Milano, pp. 739–743 (1988)Google Scholar
- 13.Liu, J., Lee, C.M., Shu, R.B.: An efficient method for the skew normalization of a document image. In: Proceedings Int. Conf. on Pattern Recognition, vol. 3, pp. 122–125 (1992)Google Scholar
- 18.Dhandra, B.V., Malemath, V.S., Mallikarjun, H., Hegadi, R.: Skew Detection in Binary Image Documents Based on Image Dilation and Region labeling Approach. In: Proceedings 18th Int. Conf. on Pattern Recognition, vol. 2, pp. 954–957 (2006)Google Scholar
- 19.Saragiotis, P., Papamarkos, N.: Skew correction in documents with several differently skewed text areas. In: Int. Conf. on Computer Vision Theory and Applications, Barcelona (2007)Google Scholar
- 20.Phillips, I.T.: User’s Reference manual for the UW English/Technical Document Image Database I. UW-I English/Technical Document Image Database, University of Washington (1993)Google Scholar