High-Resolution Multi-sprite Generation for Background Sprite Coding
In this paper, we consider high-resolution multi-sprite generation and its application to background sprite coding. Firstly, we propose an approach to partitioning a video sequence into multiple background sprites and selecting an optimal reference frame for each sprite range. This approach groups images that cover a similar scene into the same sprite range. We then propose an iterative regularized technique for constructing a high-resolution sprite in each sprite range. This technique determines the regularization parameter automatically and produces sprite images with high visual quality. Due to the advantages of high-resolution multi-sprites, a high-resolution sprite coding method is also presented and it achieves high coding efficiency.
KeywordsReference Frame Video Sequence Error Energy Global Motion Estimation High Visual Quality
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.Chien, S., Chen, C., Chao, W., Hsu, C., Huang, Y., Chen, L.: A fast and high subjective quality sprite generation algorithm with frame skipping and multiple sprits techniques. In: Proc. of IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, IEEE, Los Alamitos (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Park, S., Park, M., Kang, M.: Super resolution image reconstruction: a technical overview. IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, 21–36 (May 2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Smolic, A., Wiegand, T.: High-resolution video mosaicing. In: Proc. of IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, IEEE, Los Alamitos (2001)Google Scholar
- 10.Capel, D.: Super resolution and image mosaicing, Ph.D. thesis, Department of Engineering Science, Oxford University (2001)Google Scholar
- 11.Taubman, D., Marcellin, M.: JPEG 2000 - Image Compression Fundamentals, Standards, and Practice. Kluwer, MA (2002)Google Scholar