Color-Based Iris Verification
In this paper we propose a novel iris recognition method for iris images acquired under normal light illumination. We exploit the color information as we compare the distributions of common colors between a reference image and a test image using a modified Hausdorff distance. Tests have been made on the UBIRIS public database and on the IRIS_INT database acquired by our team. Comparisons with two iris reference systems in controlled scenario show a significant improvement when using color information instead of texture information. On uncontrolled scenarios, we propose a quality measure on colors in order to select good images from bad ones in the comparison process.
KeywordsIris recognition Hausdorff distance quality measure Gaussian Mixture Models
- 2.Emine Krichen, M., Mellakh, A., Garcia-Salicetti, S., Dorizzi, B.: Iris Identification Using Wavelet Packets. In: ICPR 2004. 17th International Conference on Pattern Recognition, Cambridge, UK, 23-26 August 2004, vol. 4, pp. 335–338 (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Wildes, R.: Automated iris recognition: An emerging biometric technology. Proceedings of the IEEE 85 (9), 1348–1363 (1997) Awarded IEEE Donald G. Fink Prize Paper AwardGoogle Scholar
- 7.Daugman, J.: How iris recognition works. IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems fo Video Technology 14(1) (January 2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Dubuisson, M.-P., Jain, A.K.: A modified Hausdorff distance for object matching. Pattern Recognition (1994). In: Conference A: Computer Vision & Image Processing, Proceedings of the 12th IAPR International Conference, 9-13 October 1994, vol. 1, pp. 566–568 (1994)Google Scholar
- 9.Mathworks, Inc., Matlab Image Processing Toolbox, Ver. 2.2 Natick, MA (1999)Google Scholar