On Practical Implementation of Holonic Control Principles in Baggage Handling Systems Using IEC 61499
IEC 61499 Functional Blocks is an upcoming architectural framework for the design of complete distributed industrial automation systems and their reusable components. This paper presents a multi-agent distributed control approach for a baggage handling system using IEC 61499 Functional Blocks. In particular, it focuses on demonstrating a distributed control system that is scalable, reconfigurable and fault tolerant. The design follows the Automation Object approach, which ends up in a functional block representing a single section of conveyor, such that the structure (and consequently the behaviour) of the conveyor network is entirely defined by the interconnection of these blocks within the IEC 61499 design environment. The use of distributed simulation to achieve predictive control is demonstrated as a part of the control system design.
KeywordsIEC 61499 Functional Blocks Distributed control Simulation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Vickers, K., Chinn, R.W.: Passenger terminal baggage handling systems. Systems Engineering of Aerospace Projects, 249 (1998)Google Scholar
- 2.Special Issue on Automation Objects, Int. J. Manufacturing Research 1 (2007)Google Scholar
- 3.Vyatkin, V., Hanisch, H.-M., Karras, S., Pfeiffer, T., Dubinin, V.: Rapid Engineering and Re-Configuration of Automation Objects Using Formal Verification. Int. J. Manufacturing Research 1(4), 382–404Google Scholar
- 4.Hirsch, M., Vyatkin, V., Hanisch, H.M.: IEC 61499 Function Blocks for Distributed Networked Embedded Applications. In: Proceedings of 4th IEEE Conference on Industrial Informatics (INDIN 2006), Singapore (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Christensen, J.H.: IEC 61499 architecture, engineering methodologies and software tools. In: Proceedings of 5th IFIP International Conference on Information Technology for Balanced Automation System. Manufacturing and Services, Cancun, Mexico (September 2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Vyatkin, V.: IEC 61499 Function Blocks for Embedded and Distributed Control Systems Design, p. 297 O3NEIDA - Instrumentation Society of America (2007)Google Scholar
- 7.Vrba, P., MAST,: manufacturing agent simulation tool Emerging Technologies and Factory Automation. In: Proceedings of ETFA ’03. IEEE Conference, September 16-19, 2003, pp. 282–287. IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Froschauer, R., Auinger, F., Grabmair, G., Strasser, T.: Automatic control application recovery in distributed IEC 61499 based automation and control systems Distributed Intelligent Systems: Collective Intelligence and Its Applications, DIS 2006. In: IEEE Workshop on June 15-16, 2006, pp. 103–108 (2006)Google Scholar
- 9.Frey, G., Hussain, T.: Modeling techniques for distributed control systems based on the IEC 61499 standard - current approaches and open problems. Discrete Event Systems. In: 8th International Workshop on July 10-12, 2006, pp. 176–181 (2006)Google Scholar