Knowledge Structure on Virus for User Education
There are many factors contribute to the virus spread and infection. One of the big challenges in confronting computer viruses is to educate user. It needs a lot of effort to educate user about computer virus. The researchers have produced ECOVP which is to help user handle virus problem and the targets users including home user, non-IT literature background and IT personnel needs in handling virus incident. Researchers had studied what are the information needs to be process, so we could use them to generate the knowledge on how to handle the virus problem. We had identified seven important criteria for user need to understand in capable for them facing the computer virus. However, this paper is focusing on virus attack on Windows platform only.
Keywordsvirus user education symptom propagation mechanism trigger payload severity operating algorithm virus type
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Symantec.: What is the difference between viruses, worms, and Trojans? (1999) [Online]. Available: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/1999041209131106
- 2.Saudi, M.: Combating Worms Outbreaks: Malaysia Experience. International Journal of Learning (Common Ground) 12(2), 295–304 (2006)Google Scholar
- 3.Resnet.: The Difference Between a Trojan Horse, Virus and a Worm. (2004) [Online]. Available: http://www.lasalle.edu/admin/it/portal/virus_updates/trojan_horse_virus_worm.htm
- 4.Microsoft: What is a virus, worm, or Trojan Horse? (May 23, 2005) [Online]. Available: http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/viruses/intro_viruses_what.mspx
- 5.Antivirus.world.com.: How Does Anti-Virus Software Work? (August 23, 2005) [Online]. Available: http://www.antivirusworld.com/articles/antivirus.php
- 6.Symantec: Symantec Education Services Program Emphasizes Employee Training for Improved Security Posture (September 27, 2004) [Online]. Available: http://www.symantec.com/press/2004/n040927.html
- 7.Sophos.: China Crisis: Computer Viruses Rampant Says Survey (October 21, 2003) [Online]. Available: http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/articles/chinavirus.html
- 8.Martin, R.: FAQ der VIRUS.GER: Version 2.3. (1997) [Online]. Available: http://www.virushelpmunich.de/faq/faq
- 10.Helenius, M.: A System to Support the Analysis of Antivirus Products’ Virus Detection Capabilities. PhD Dissertation, Department of Computer and Information Sciences, University of Tampere (2002)Google Scholar