Image Based Recognition of Ancient Coins
Illegal trade and theft of coins appears to be a major part of the illegal antiques market. Image based recognition of coins could substantially contribute to fight against it. Central component in the permanent identification and traceability of coins is the underlying classification and identification technology. However, currently available algorithms focus basically on the recognition of modern coins. To date, no optical recognition system for ancient coins has been researched successfully. In this paper, we give an overview on recent research for coin classification and we show if existing approaches can be extended from modern coins to ancient coins. Results of the algorithms implemented are presented for three different coins databases with more then 10.000 coins.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Bremananth, R., Balaji, B., Sankari, M., Chitra, A.: A new approach to coin recognition using neural pattern analysis. In: Proc. of IEEE Indicon 2005 Conference, pp. 366–370 (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Davidsson, P.: Coin classification using a novel technique for learning characteristic decision trees by controlling the degree of generalization. In: IEA/AIE-96. Proc. of 9th Int. Conference on Industrial & Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence & Expert Systems, pp. 403–412 (1996)Google Scholar
- 5.Nölle, M., Penz, H., Rubik, M., Mayer, K.J., Holländer, I., Granec, R.: Dagobert – a new coin recognition and sorting system. In: DICTA 2003. Proc. of the 7th International Conference on Digital Image Computing - Techniques and Applications, Macquarie University, Sydney, Australia, pp. 329–338, CSIRO Publishing (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Reisert, M., Ronneberger, O., Burkhardt, H.: An efficient gradient based registration technique for coin recognition. In: Proc. of the Muscle CIS Coin Competition Workshop, Berlin, Germany, pp. 19–31 (2006)Google Scholar
- 7.van der Maaten, L.J., Postma, E.O.: Towards automatic coin classification. In: Proc. of the EVA-Vienna 2006, Vienna, Austria, pp. 19–26 (2006)Google Scholar
- 8.van der Maaten, L.J., Poon, P.: Coin-o-matic: A fast system for reliable coin classification. In: Proc. of the Muscle CIS Coin Competition Workshop, Berlin, Germany, pp. 7–18 (2006)Google Scholar
- 9.Nölle, M., Rubik, M., Hanbury, A.: Results of the muscle cis coin competition 2006. In: Proc. of the Muscle CIS Coin Competition Workshop, Berlin, Germany, pp. 1–5 (2006)Google Scholar
- 10.Russ, J.C.: The Image Processing Handbook, 2nd edn. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL (1995)Google Scholar