A New Wavelet-Based Texture Descriptor for Image Retrieval
This paper presents a novel texture descriptor based on the wavelet transform. First, we will consider vertical and horizontal coefficients at the same position as the components of a bivariate random vector. The magnitud and angle of these vectors are computed and its histograms are analyzed. This empirical magnitud histogram is modelled by using a gamma distribution (pdf). As a result, the feature extraction step consists of estimating the gamma parameters using the maxima likelihood estimator and computing the circular histograms of angles. The similarity measurement step is done by means of the well-known Kullback-Leibler divergence. Finally, retrieval experiments are done using the Brodatz texture collection obtaining a good performance of this new texture descriptor. We compare two wavelet transforms, with and without downsampling, and show the advantage of the second one, which is translation invariant, for the construction of our texture descriptor.
KeywordsTexture descriptor Wavelet Transform Image retrieval
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ayala, G., Domingo, J.: Spatial size distributions: Applications to shape and texture analysis. IEEE Trans. Image Processing 23, 1430–1442 (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Buccigrossi, R., Simoncelli, E.: Image compression via joint statistical characterization in the wavelet domain. IEEE Trans. Signal Proc. 8, 1688–1701 (1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Daubechies, I.: Ten lectures on wavelets. Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (1992)Google Scholar
- 5.Del Bimbo, A.: Visual Information Retrieval. Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco (1999)Google Scholar
- 8.Heeger, D., Berger, J.R.: Pyramid-based txture analysis/synthesis. In: Proc. ACM SIGGRAPH (1995)Google Scholar
- 12.Husoy, J., Randen, T.: filtering for texture classifciation: A comparative study. IEEE Trans. Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence 20, 115–122 (1999)Google Scholar
- 13.Tzagkarakis, G., Beferull-Lozano, B., Tsakalides, P.: Rotation-invariant texture retrieval with gaussianized steerable pyramids. IEEE Trans. Image Processing 15(2006)Google Scholar