An Approach to the 2D Hilbert Transform for Image Processing Applications
The Hilbert Transform (HT) and the analytic signal (AS) are widely used in their one-dimensional version for various applications. However, in the bi-dimensional (2D) case as occur for images, the definition of the 2D-HT is not unique and several approaches to it have been developed, having as one of the main goals to obtain a meaningful 2D-AS or analytic image, which can be used for various practical applications. In this work, one particular approach to the 2D-HT is introduced that allowed the calculation of analytic images which satisfy the basic properties that these functions have in the 1D case, and that produces a 2D spectrum equal to zero in one quadrant. The methods for calculation of the discrete version of the 2D-HT and the associated AS are presented and analyzed, as well as two applications, for edge detection and for envelope detection in a 2D AM modulated radial chirp.
KeywordsEdge Detection Support Region Hilbert Transform Image Processing Application Instantaneous Amplitude
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Gabor, D.: Theory of Communication. Journal of the IEE 93, 429–457 (1946)Google Scholar
- 2.Cohen, L.: Time Frequency Analysis. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs (1995)Google Scholar
- 6.Havlicek, J.P., Havlicek, J.W., Mamuya, N.D., Bovik, A.C.: Skewed 2D Hilbert Transforms and AM-FM models. In: ICIP 1998. Proc. International conference on Image Processing, October 4-7, 1998, vol. 1, pp. 602–606 (1998)Google Scholar
- 7.Havlicek, J.P., Havlicek, J.W., Bovik, A.C.: The analytic image. In: ICIP 1997. Proc. International conference on Image Processing, October 26-29, 1997, vol. 2, pp. 446–449 (1997)Google Scholar
- 8.Kovesi, P.: Image Features from Phase Congruency. Videre Journal of Computer Vision Research, vol. 1(3). MIT Press, Cambridge (1999)Google Scholar
- 9.Pei, S.-C., Ding, J.-J.: The generalized radial Hilbert Transform and its applications to 2-D edge detection (any direction or specified directions). In: ICASSP ’03. Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, April 6-10, 2003, vol. 3, pp. 357–360 (2003)Google Scholar