A Page Content Independent Book Dewarping Method to Handle 2D Images Captured by a Digital Camera
In this paper, we propose a coordinate transform model to rectify both the perspective and surface curving distortions of a book image, which is captured by a 2D digital camera. The rectification process includes three steps: 1) detect the boundary of a curved page on a book image; 2) knowing the four boundary curves of a book page should be mapped to the four sides of a rectangle, we build up the correspondence between a pixel inside the book page and a pixel inside the rectangle; 3) fill each pixel in the rectangle with its correspondence pixel on the book image, we get a rectangle which is the dewarped page we want. The experimental results show the effectiveness of the proposed rectification approach.
KeywordsTransformation model text line document rectification book dewarping digital camera
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Brown, M.S., Brent Seales, W.: Image Restoration of Arbitrarily Warped Documents. IEEE Transactions on pattern analysis and machine intelligence 26(10) (2004)Google Scholar
- 2.Zhang, Z., Tan, C.L., Fan, L.: Restoration of Curved Document Images through 3D Shape Modeling. In: Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pp. 10–15 (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Kanungo, T., Haralick, R.M.: Global and Local Document Degradation Models. In: Proc. 2nd International Conference on Document Analysis and Recognition, pp. 730–734 (1993)Google Scholar
- 4.Lu, S., Tan, C.L.: The Restoration of Camera Documents through Image Segmentation. Analysis Systems, pp. 484-495 (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Brown, M.S., Tsoi, D.: Correcting Common Distortions in Camera-Imaged Library Materials. The Joint Conference of Digital Libraries, 367–368 (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Ezaki, H., Uchida, S.: Dewarping of document image by global optimization. In: Proc. 8th International Conference on Document Analysis and Recognition, pp. 302–306 (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Liang, J., DeMenthon, D., Deormann, D.: Flattening Curved Documents in Images. In: Rangarajan, A., Vemuri, B., Yuille, A.L. (eds.) EMMCVPR 2005. LNCS, vol. 3757, pp. 338–345. Springer, Heidelberg (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Cao, H., Ding, X., Liu, C.: Rectifying the Bound Document Image Captured by the Camera: A Model Based Approach. In: Proc. 7th International Conference on Document Analysis and Recognition, pp. 71–75 (2003)Google Scholar