Coalgebraic Epistemic Update Without Change of Model
We present a coalgebraic semantics for reasoning about information update in multi-agent systems. The novelty is that we have one structure for both states and actions and thus our models do not involve the ”change-of-model” phenomena that arise when using Kripke models. However, we prove that the usual models can be constructed from ours by categorical adjunction. The generality and abstraction of our coalgebraic model turns out to be extremely useful in proving preservation properties of update. In particular, we prove that positive knowledge is preserved and acquired as a result of epistemic update. We also prove common and nested knowledge properties of epistemic updates induced by specific epistemic actions such as public and private announcements, lying, and in particular unsafe actions of security protocols. Our model directly gives rise to a coalgebraic logic with both dynamic and epistemic modalities. We prove a soundness and completeness result for this logic, and illustrate the applicability of the logic by deriving knowledge properties of a simple security protocol.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Baltag, A.: A coalgebraic semantics for epistemic programs. In: Proceedings of Coalgebraic Methods in Computer Science. Electronic Notes in Theoretical Computer Science, vol. 82 (2003)Google Scholar
- 2.Baltag, A., Coecke, B., Sadrzadeh, M.: Epistemic actions as resources. Journal of Logic and Computation, forthcomingGoogle Scholar
- 3.Baltag, A., Moss, L.S.: Logics for epistemic programs. Synthese 139 (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.van Benthem, J., Pacuit, E.: The tree of knowledge in action: towards a common perspective. In: Proceedings of Advances in Modal Logic (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Cîrstea, C., Pattinson, D.: Modular construction of modal logics. In: Gardner, P., Yoshida, N. (eds.) CONCUR 2004. LNCS, vol. 3170, pp. 258–275. Springer, Heidelberg (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Cîrstea, C.: On expressivity and compositionality in logics for coalgebras. In: Proceedings of Coalgebraic Methods in Computer Science, Electronic Notes in Theoretical Computer Science 82 (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Cîrstea, C., Sadrzadeh, M.: Coalgebraic epistemic update without change of model, http://ecs.soton.ac.uk/~ms6/TechRep.pdf
- 10.Gerbrandy, J.: Bisimulations on Planet Kripke. Ph. D. Thesis, University of Amsterdam (1999)Google Scholar
- 14.Sadrzadeh, M.: Actions and Resources in Epistemic Logic. Ph.D. Thesis, University of Quebec at Montreal (2005), http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~ms6/all.pdf
- 15.Sadrzadeh, M., Cîrstea, C.: Relating algebraic and coalgebraic logics of knowledge and update. In: Proceedings of the 7th conference on Logic and the Foundations of Game and Decision Theory, pp. 199–208, Liverpool (July 2006)Google Scholar