Test-Sequence Generation with Hol-TestGen with an Application to Firewall Testing
hol-TestGen is a specification and test case generation environment extending the interactive theorem prover Isabelle/hol. Its method is two-staged: first, the original formula is partitioned into test cases by transformation into a normal form called test theorem. Second, the test cases are analyzed for ground instances (the test data) satisfying the constraints of the test cases. Particular emphasis is put on the control of explicit test hypotheses which can be proven over concrete programs.
Although originally designed for black-box unit-tests, hol-TestGen’s underlying logic and deduction engine is powerful enough to be used in test-sequence generation, too.
We develop the theory for test-sequence generation with hol-TestGen and describe its use in a substantial case-study in the field of computer security, namely the black-box test of configured firewalls.
Keywordssymbolic test case generations test sequence generation black box testing theorem proving Isabelle/HOL computer security
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.The HOL-TestGen Website, http://www.brucker.ch/projects/hol-testgen/
- 3.Brucker, A.D., Wolff, B.: HOL-TestGen 1.0.0 user guide. Technical Report 482, ETH Zürich (April 2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Brucker, A.D., Wolff, B.: Symbolic test case generation for primitive recursive functions. In: Grabowski, J., Nielsen, B. (eds.) FATES 2004. LNCS, vol. 3395, pp. 16–32. Springer, Heidelberg (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Gaudel, M.-C.: Testing can be formal, too. In: Mosses, P.D., Schwartzbach, M.I., Nielsen, M. (eds.) CAAP 1995, FASE 1995, and TAPSOFT 1995. LNCS, vol. 915, pp. 82–96. Springer, Heidelberg (1995)Google Scholar
- 11.Wenzel, M.M.: Isabelle/Isar — a versatile environment for human-readable formal proof documents. PhD thesis, TU München, München (February 2002)Google Scholar