Spontaneous Interaction Framework for Thin-Client Access to Services
Many physical spaces such as homes, museums, airports and shopping malls are being augmented with computers, sensors, wireless hotspots to provide digital content and services. However, often specialized hardware and software are needed to access the services available in a particular space. This paper proposes a lightweight service framework which can aggregate services offered by heterogeneous devices and sources in a smart space and allow the users of currently available mobile clients, such as, smart phones, PDAs and Ultra-Mobile PCs, to spontaneously discover and access services in heterogeneous spaces. By leveraging a captive and service portal mechanism, the desirable services can be discovered and presented automatically to the mobile client of the user, while the mobile devices do not need to install any additional software or hardware. In this paper, we present the system requirements for spontaneous interaction, the service framework design and implementation details.
KeywordsMobile Device Ubiquitous Computing Video Surveillance Mobile Client Smart Space
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Nakajima, T., Kobayashi, N., Tokunaga, E.: Middleware Supporting Various Input/Output Devices for Networked Audio and Visual Home Appliances. In: Murakami, H., Nakashima, H., Tokuda, H., Yasumura, M. (eds.) UCS 2004. LNCS, vol. 3598, pp. 157–173. Springer, Heidelberg (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Nakajima, T., Satoh, I.: A software infrastructure for supporting spontaneous and personalized interaction in home computing environments. Personal and Ubiquitous Computing, 379–391 (2006)Google Scholar
- 8.Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) (April 17, 2007), http://www.upnp.org
- 9.DD-WRT firmware for wireless routers (April 17, 2007), http://www.dd-wrt.com
- 10.Open Service Gateway Initiative (OSGi) (April 17, 2007), http://www.osgi.org
- 11.Konno, S.: CyberGarage Cyberlink for Java, Development package for UPnP devices (April 17, 2007), http://www.cybergarage.org/net/upnp/java/index.html
- 12.del.icio.us social bookmarking service (April 17, 2007), http://del.icio.us
- 13.Cidero UPnP Media Controller (April 17, 2007) http://www.cidero.com/