Improved Exact Algorithms for Counting 3- and 4-Colorings
We introduce a generic algorithmic technique and apply it on decision and counting versions of graph coloring. Our approach is based on the following idea: either a graph has nice (from the algorithmic point of view) properties which allow a simple recursive procedure to find the solution fast, or the pathwidth of the graph is small, which in turn can be used to find the solution by dynamic programming. By making use of this technique we obtain the fastest known exact algorithms
running in time O(1.7272 n ) for deciding if a graph is 4-colorable
running in time O(1.6262 n ) and O(1.9464 n ) for counting the number of k-colorings for k = 3 and 4 respectively.
KeywordsSearch Tree Chromatic Number Exact Algorithm Vertex Cover Graph Coloring
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Angelsmark, O., Jonsson, P.: Improved Algorithms for Counting Solutions in Constraint Satisfaction Problems. In: Rossi, F. (ed.) CP 2003. LNCS, vol. 2833, pp. 81–95. Springer, Heidelberg (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Björklund, A., Husfeldt, T.: Inclusion–Exclusion Algorithms for Counting Set Partitions. In: The Proceedings of FOCS 2006, pp. 575–582 (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Byskov, J.M.: Exact Algorithms for Graph Colouring and Exact Satisfiability. PhD Dissertation (2004).Google Scholar
- 8.Fomin, F.V., Gaspers, S., Saurabh, S., Stepanov, A.A.: On Two Techniques of Combining Branching and Treewidth. Report No 337, Department of Informatics, University of Bergen, Norway (December 2006)Google Scholar
- 11.Fürer, M., Kasiviswanathan, S.P.: Algorithms for counting 2-SAT solutions and colorings with applications. In: ECCC 33 (2005)Google Scholar
- 12.Garey, M.R., Johnson, D.S.: Computer and Intractability: A Guide to the Theory of NP-Completeness. W.H. Freeman, San Francisco, CA (1979)Google Scholar
- 14.Koivisto, M.: An O(2n) algorithm for graph coloring and other partitioning problems via inclusion-exclusion. In: Proceedings of FOCS 2006, pp. 583–590 (2006)Google Scholar