Constructing and Application of Multimedia TV News Archives
This paper addresses an integrated information mining techniques for broadcasting TV-news. The utilizes technique from the fields of acoustic, image, and video analysis, for information on news title, reporters and news background. The goal is to construct a compact yet meaningful abstraction of broadcast TV news, allowing users to browse through large amounts of data in a non-linear fashion with flexibility and efficiency. By using acoustic analysis, a news program can be partitioned into news and commercial clips, with 90% accuracy on a data set of 400 hours TV-news recorded off the air from July 2005 to August of 2006. By applying additional speaker identification and/or image detection techniques, each news stories can be segmented with a better accuracy of 95.92%. On screen captions and screen characters are recognized by video OCR techniques to produce the title of each news stories. Then keywords can be extracted from title to link related news contents on the WWW. In cooperation with facial and scene analysis and recognition techniques, OCR results can provide users with multimodal query on specific news stories.
KeywordsTV-News archives Multimedia information mining Multimodal query Video OCR Speaker identification
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Huffman, S., Yang, T.E., Yan, L., Sanders, K.: Genie out of the bottle: Three u.s. networks report tiananmen square. In: Proceedings of the annual meeting of Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA (1990)Google Scholar
- 2.Vanderbilt television news archive, http://www.vanderbilt.edu/vtna
- 3.Lai, P., Lai, L., Tseng, T., Chen, Y., Fu, H.C.: A fully automated web-based tv-news system. In: Proceedings of PCM2004, Tokyo, Japan (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Dan rather interview with texas monthly, http://tvnews.vanderbilt.edu/about.pl
- 5.Informedia, http://www.informedia.cs.cmu.edu/
- 7.Wang, Y., Ostermann, J., Zhang, Y.Q.: Video processing and communications. Prentice Hall Press, Englewood Cliffs (2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Lin, C.J., Liu, C.C., Chen, H.H.: A simple method for chinese video ocr and its application to question answering. International Journal of Computational Linguistics and Chinese Language Processing 6, 11–30 (2001)Google Scholar
- 12.Huang, T.Y., Lai, P.S., Fu, H.C.: A shot-based video clip search method. In: Proceedings of CVGIP2004, Taipei, Hualien, ROC (2004)Google Scholar
- 13.Sun, S.Y., Tseng, C.L., Chen, Y.H., Chuang, S.C., Fu, H.C.: Cluster-based support vector machine in text-independent speaker identification. In: Proceedings of International Joint Conference on Neural Networks IJCNN 2004, Budapest, Hungary (2004)Google Scholar