Security Models of Digital Watermarking
Digital watermarking, traditionally modeled as communication with side information, is generally considered to have important potential applications in various scenarios such as digital rights managements. However, the current literature mainly focuses on robustness, capacity and imperceptibility. There lacks systematic formal approach in tackling secure issues of watermarking. One one hand, the threat models in many previous works are not sufficiently established, which result in somewhat superficial or even flawed security analysis. On the other hand, there lacks a rigorous model for watermarking in general that allows useful analysis in practice. There has been some efforts in clearing the threat models and formulate rigorous watermarking models. However, there are also many other cases where security issues are lightly or incorrectly treated. In this paper, we survey various security notions and models in previous work, and discuss possible future research directions.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [[adelsbach03acm]]Adelsbach, A., Katzenbeiser, S., Veith, H.: Watermarking schemes provably secure against copy and ambiguity attacks. In: Proceedings of the 2003 ACM Workshop on Digital Rights Management, pp. 111–119 (2003)Google Scholar
- [[adelsbach03]]Adelsbach, A., Katzenbeisser, S., Sadeghi, A.: On the insecurity of non-invertible watermarking schemes for dispute resolving. In: Kalker, T., Cox, I., Ro, Y.M. (eds.) IWDW 2003. LNCS, vol. 2939, Springer, Heidelberg (2004)Google Scholar
- [[barr03]]Barr, J., Bradley, B., Hanningan, B.T.: Using digital watermarks with image signatures to mitigate the threat of the copy attack. In: ICASSP, pp. 69–72 (2003)Google Scholar
- [[bows]]Break our watermarking system contest, http://lci.det.unifi.it/BOWS/
- [[hopper07]]Hopper, N., Molnar, D., Wagner, D.: From weak to strong watermarking. In: Theory of Cryptography Conference (2007), http://eprint.iacr.org/2006/430
- [[kutter00watermark]]Kutter, M., Voloshynovskiy, S., Herrigel, A.: The watermark copy attack. In: Electronic Imaging 2000, Security and Watermarking of Multimedia Content II, vol. 3971 (2000)Google Scholar
- [[li04]]Li, Q., Chang, E.-C.: On the possibility of non-invertible watermarking schemes. In: Fridrich, J. (ed.) IH 2004. LNCS, vol. 3200, pp. 13–24. Springer, Heidelberg (2004)Google Scholar
- [[li06zero]]Li, Q., Chang, E.-C.: Zero-knowledge watermark detection resistant to ambiguity attacks. In: ACM Multimedia Security Workshop (2006)Google Scholar
- [[ramkumar]]Ramkumar, M., Akansu, A.: Image watermarks and counterfeit attacks: Some problems and solutions. In: Symposium on Content Security and Data Hiding in Digital Media, pp. 102–112 (1999)Google Scholar
- [[taha07]]Sencar, H.T., Memon, N.: Combatting ambiguity attacks via selected detection of embedded watermarks. IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and SecurityGoogle Scholar