Examining User Privacy Practices While Shopping Online: What Are Users Looking for?
This study evaluated users’ behaviors when performing inexpensive or expensive e-commerce purchases on familiar and unfamiliar Web sites. Users were more comfortable with making inexpensive than expensive purchases. They also felt more secure and that their privacy was better protected when shopping with a familiar Web site than an unfamiliar one, especially for expensive purchases. For inexpensive purchases, if the price was “right”, participants were willing to purchase the product on unfamiliar Web sites. For expensive purchases, though, the reputation of the organization hosting the Web site was the most important factor. In both cases, privacy was a minor determinant for deciding whether to make a purchase from a Web site. Only 20% of the users regularly accessed the sites’ privacy policies during their interactions with the sites. Moreover, less than half of the participants even looked at privacy-policy links during their interactions with the Web sites.
Keywordse-commerce privacy policies usability eye-tracking
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Dark, M., McPherson, C.: Privacy and the public educator. Lecture Series in Computer Science (this volume)Google Scholar
- 2.Privacy Rights Clearinghouse.: HIPAA basics: Medical privacy in the electronic age. Privacy Rights Clearinghouse. (Retrieved October 22, 2006), from http://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs8a-hipaa.htm
- 3.Ackerman, M.S., Cranor, L.F., Reagle, J.: Privacy in E-commerce: Examining user scenarios and privacy preferences. In: E-commerce 1999, pp. 1–8. ACM, New York (1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Proctor, R.W., Ali, M.A., Vu, K.-P.L.: Examining usability of Web privacy policies. International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction (in press)Google Scholar
- 6.Jensen, C., Potts, J.: Privacy policies as decision-making tools: An Evaluation of online privacy notices. In: CHI 2004, vol. 6, pp. 471–478 (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Tobii Technology: http://www.tobii.com/