Interaction Design of a Remote Clinical Robot for Ophthalmology
This paper presents an interactive design project of a remote clinical robot for ophthalmology, for use in support of telemedicine. The project is a case study of finding the best organizational structure of a Graphical User Interface (GUI) and Solid User Interface (SUI) in the age of ubiquitous computing. At the early stage of design, we carried out usability tests with paper-based prototypes and obtained requirements from ophthalmologists. Results showed that paper prototyping is applicable for GUI- and SUI-combined products, even they have manual control input and continuously changing visual feedback. We examine lessons learned from the design process and designed product.
Keywordsdesign method Graphical User Interface (GUI) interaction design ophthalmology paper prototyping remote clinical robot Solid User Interface (SUI) telemedicine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Black, A., Buur, J.: Making Solid User Interfaces Work. Information Design Journal 8(2), 99–108 (1996)Google Scholar
- 2.CH Products – Industrial Joystick and Trackballs: (Last accessed: February 23, 2007), http://www.chproducts.com/oem/finger_ip_desktop.html
- 3.Go, K., Hirasawa, N., Kasai, H., Kurosu, M.: Supporting “Omoiyari”: A Design Issue in Post-Ubiquitous Society. In: Proc. the SICE-ICASE International Joint Conference 2006 (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Gould, J.D.: How to Design Usable Systems. In: Buxton, W., Grudin, J., Greenberg, S., Baecker, R.M. (eds.) Readings in Human-Computer Interaction: Toward the Year 2000, pp. 93–121. Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco (2000)Google Scholar
- 7.Sakamura, K.: TRON Human Interface Guideline. Personal Media, Tokyo (1993)Google Scholar
- 8.Snyder, C.: Paper Prototyping: The Fast and Simple Techniques for Designing and Refining the User Interface. Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.The Medical Information System Development Center: Telemedicine Report—Revised in March, 1997 (Last accessed: January 31, 2007), http://square.umin.ac.jp/~enkaku/96/Enkaku-RepSoukatu-nof-eng.html
- 10.Takagi Seiko Ltd.: Slitlamp microscope, Model SM-70N (Last accessed: January 31, 2007), http://www.takagi-j.com/seihin_e/seihin_e.html
- 11.Weiser, M.: Computer for the 21st Century. Scientific American, 265, 3 (1991)Google Scholar