The Usability of Accessibility Evaluation Tools
A range of accessibility evaluation tools are available to support Web developers in producing accessible Web resources. It is important that these tools support web developers very well, so that the developers can concentrate on the tasks of Web development. In addition, the tools should enhance Web developers understanding of accessibility issues. This paper presents a usability evaluation of five entry level accessibility evaluations tools. A group heuristic evaluation was conducted, with 5 experts in usability and accessibility working through each tool together, but rating usability problems separately. The results showed that the usability of these tools is surprisingly poor and that they do not support web developers adequately in checking the accessibility of their web resources.
KeywordsWeb accessibility accessibility evaluation accessibility evaluation tools usability
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Brajnik, G.: Automatic web usability evaluation: what needs to be done? In: Proceedings of 6th Conference on Human Factors and the Web. Austin, Texas (2003), Available at http://www.tri.sbc.com/hfweb/brajnik/hfweb-brajnik.html
- 3.Disability Rights Commission, The Web: Access and Inclusion for Disabled people. London: The Stationery Office (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Mazzocato, G.: Accessibility Colour Wheel (Accessed: 15/02/07), Available at: http://gmazzocato.altervista.org/colorwheel/wheel.php
- 5.Nielsen, J., Mack, R.L.: Usability inspection methods. John Wiley, New York (1994)Google Scholar
- 6.Preece, J., Rogers, Y., Sharp, H.: Interaction Design: Beyond Human-Computer Interaction. John Wiley & Sons, New York (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Watchfire. WebXACT (Accessed: 15/02/07), Available at: http://webxact.watchfire.com/
- 8.Web Accessibility Initiative. Web Content Accessibility Guidelines Overview (accessed 15/02/07), Available at: http://www.w3.org/WAI/intro/wcag.php
- 9.Web Accessibility Initiative. Involving Users in Web Accessibility Evaluation (accessed 15/02/07), Available at http://www.w3.org/WAI/eval/users.html
- 10.Web Accessibility Initiative. Complete list of web accessibility evaluation tools (accessed 15/02/07), Available at: http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/tools/complete