Easy Model-Driven Development of Multimedia User Interfaces with GuiBuilder
GUI builder tools are widely used in practice to develop the user interface of software systems. Typically they are visual programming tools that support direct-manipulative assembling of the user interface components. We have developed the tool GuiBuilder which follows a model-driven approach to the development of graphical (multimedia) user interfaces. This allows a meta-design approach where user interface developers as well as prospective users of the system are supported in modelling the desired functionality of the GUI on a high level of abstraction that is easy to understand for all involved stakeholders. The model consists of compositional presentation diagrams to model the structure of the user interface and hierarchical statechart diagrams to model its behaviour. GuiBuilder then supports the transformation of the model to Java, i.e., the generation of a working user interface and the simulation of the modelled behaviour. Interactive sessions with the user interface can be recorded and replayed.
KeywordsModel-driven development meta-design user interface prototype generation capture-replay
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Costabile, M.F., Fogli, D., Mussio, P., Piccinno, A.: A Meta-Design Approach to End-User Development. In: VL/HCC 2005. Proc. IEEE Symposium on Visual Languages and Human-Centric Computing, pp. 308–310. IEEE Comp. Soc., Washington (2005)Google Scholar
- 2.Fischer, G., Giaccardi, E., Ye, Y., Sutcliffe, A.G., Mehandjiev, N.: Meta-Design: A Manifesto for End-User Development. CACM 47(9), 33–37 (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Horrocks, I.: Constructing the User Interface with Statecharts. Addison-Wesley, London (1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Mellor, S.J., Scott, K., Uhl, A.: MDA Distilled: Principles of model-driven architecture. Addison-Wesley Professional, London (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Pleuß, A., Van den Bergh, J., Hußmann, H., Sauer, S. (eds.): MDDAUI 2005. Proc. of the MoDELS 2005 Workshop on Model Driven Development of Advanced User Interfaces, CEUR Workshop Proc. 159, CEUR-WS.org (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Sauer, S., Engels, G.: UML-based Behavior Specification of Interactive Multimedia Applications. In: HCC 2001. Proc. IEEE Symposium on Human-Centric Computing Languages and Environments, pp. 248–255. IEEE Comp. Soc., Washington (2001)Google Scholar
- 10.van Harmelen, M. (ed.): Object Modeling and User Interface Design. Addison-Wesley, London (2001)Google Scholar
- 11.Vanderdonckt, J., Limbourg, Q., Michotte, B., Bouillon, L., Trevisan, D., Florins, M.: UsiXML: a User Interface Description Language for Specifying Multimodal User Interfaces. In: WMI 2004. Proc. W3C Workshop on Multimodal Interaction (2004), http://www.usixml.org