Enabling Full-Size Public-Key Algorithms on 8-Bit Sensor Nodes
In this article we present the fastest known implementation of a modular multiplication for a 160-bit standard compliant elliptic curve (secp160r1) for 8-bit micro controller which are typically used in WSNs. The major part (77%) of the processing time for an elliptic curve operation such as ECDSA or EC Diffie-Hellman is spent on modular multiplication. We present an optimized arithmetic algorithm which significantly speed up ECC schemes. The reduced processing time also yields a significantly lower energy consumption of ECC schemes. With our implementation results we can show that a 160-bit modular multiplication can be performed in 0.39 ms on an 8-bit AVR processor clocked at 7.37 MHz. This brings the vision of asymmetric cryptography in the field of WSNs with all its benefits for key-distribution and authentication a step closer to reality.
Keywordswireless sensor network elliptic curve cryptography 8-bit micro controller Micaz secp160r1
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Atmel. 8-bit Microcontroller with 128K Bytes In-System Programmable Flash, http://www.atmel.com/
- Certicom Research. SEC 2: Recommended Elliptic Curve Domain Parameters. Standards for Efficient Cryptography Version 1.0 (September 2000)Google Scholar
- Chan, H., Perrig, A., Song, D.: Random Key Predistribution Schemes for Sensor Networks. In: Proceedings of the IEEE Security and Privacy Symposium 2003 (2003)Google Scholar
- Du, W., Deng, J., Han, Y., Varshney, P.: A Pairwise Key Pre-distribution Scheme for Wireless Sensor Networks. In: CCS 2003: Proceedings of the 10th ACM Conference on Computer and Communications SecurityGoogle Scholar
- Eschenauer, L., Gligor, V.: A Key Management Scheme for Distributed Sensor Networks. In: CCS 2002. Proceedings of the 9th ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security, ACM Press, New York (2002)Google Scholar
- Gura, N., Patel, A., Wander, A., Eberle, H., Shantz, S.C.: Comparing Elliptic Curve Cryptography and RSA on 8-bit CPUs. In: Joye, M., Quisquater, J.-J. (eds.) CHES 2004. LNCS, vol. 3156, pp. 119–132. Springer, Heidelberg (2004)Google Scholar
- Liu, A., Ning, P.: TinyECC: Elliptic Curve Cryptography for Sensor Networks. available for download at (September 2006), http://discovery.csc.ncsu.edu/software/TinyECC
- Menezes, A.J., Van, O., Paul, C., Vanstone, S.A. (eds.): Handbook of Applied Cryptography. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL (1996)Google Scholar
- Certicom Research. SEC 1: Elliptic Curve Cryptography, Version 1.0 (September 2000)Google Scholar
- Solinas, J.: Generalized Mersenne Numbers. Technical report CORR-39, Dept. of C&O, University of Waterloo (1999), available from http://www.cacr.math.uwaterloo.ca
- Crossbow Technology, Inc., http://www.xbow.com