Multi-slice Three-Dimensional Myocardial Strain Tensor Quantification Using zHARP
In this article we propose a novel method for calculating cardiac 3-D strain. The method requires the acquisition of myocardial short-axis (SA) slices only and produces the 3-D strain tensor at every point within every pair of slices. Three-dimensional displacement is calculated from SA slices using zHARP which is then used for calculating the local displacement gradient and thus the local strain tensor. There are three main advantages of this method. First, the 3-D strain tensor is calculated for every pixel without interpolation; this is unprecedented in cardiac MR imaging. Second, this method is fast, in part because there is no need to acquire long-axis (LA) slices. Third, the method is accurate because the 3-D displacement components are acquired simultaneously and therefore reduces motion artifacts without the need for registration. This article presents the theory of computing 3-D strain from two slices using zHARP, the imaging protocol, and both phantom and in-vivo validation.
KeywordsStrain Tensor Material Point Strain Tensor Component Harmonic Phase Single Image Plane
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Zerhouni, E.A., Parish, D.M., Rogers, W.J., Yang, A., Shapiro, E.P.: Human heart: tagging with mr imaging: a method for noninvasive assessment of myocardial motion. Radiology 169, 59–63 (1988)Google Scholar
- Axel, L., Dougherty, L.: Heart wall motion: improved method of spatial modulation of magnetization for mr imaging. Radiology 172, 349–350 (1989)Google Scholar
- Aletras, A.H., Ding, S., Balaban, R.S., Wen, H.: Dense: displacement encoding with stimulated echoes in cardiac functional mri. Journal of magnetic resonance (San Diego, Calif.: 1997) 137(1), 247–252 (1999)Google Scholar
- Osman, N.F., McVeigh, E.R., Prince, J.L.: Imaging heart motion using harmonic phase mri, vol. 19, pp. 186–202 (2000)Google Scholar
- O’Dell, W.G., Moore, C.C., Hunter, W.C., Zerhouni, E.A., McVeigh, E.R.: Three-dimensional myocardial deformations: calculation with displacement field fitting to tagged mr images. Radiology 195(3), 829–835 (1995)Google Scholar
- Abd-Elmoniem, K.Z., Osman, N.F., Stuber, M., Prince, J.L.: Zharp: Three-dimensional motion tracking from a single image plane. In: Christensen, G.E., Sonka, M. (eds.) IPMI 2005. LNCS, vol. 3565, pp. 639–651. Springer, Heidelberg (2005)Google Scholar
- Abd-Elmoniem, K.Z., Osman, N.F., Prince, J.L., Stuber, M.: Magnetic resonance myocardial motion tracking from a single image plane. Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (accepted)Google Scholar
- Lai, W.M., Rubin, D., Krempl, E.: Introduction to continuum mechanics. Pergamon Press, New York (1993)Google Scholar