Excellence in Ease of Use with Rich Functionality How Enterprise Software Applications with Rich Functionality Can Be Built to Excel in Ease of Use
In this article, we will review the procedures and techniques used to significantly improve the ease of use of enterprise software applications in the framework of a small company with limited resources. We will present the achievements and lessons learned from applying these techniques to the development process at Tumbleweed Communications, a moderate-sized Silicon Valley company that builds secure messaging applications for enterprises. We will conclude by showing examples of screens before and after implementing our user-centered design approach.
KeywordsUI Design UI Standards Usability User Experience
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Apple Computer User Experience Guides, (accessed 2006) http://developer.apple.com/documentation/UserExperience/index.html
- 2.Barlas, D.: Web Usability Benefits (Wednesday, January 08, 2003), E-Business News, Available at http://www.line56.com/print/default.asp?ArticleID=4310&TopicID=7
- 3.Hackos, J.T., Redish, J.C.: User and Task Analysis for Interface Design. John Wiley & Sons, New York (1998)Google Scholar
- 4.Microsoft User Experience Guides, (accessed 2006) http://developer.apple.com/documentation/UserExperience/index.html
- 5.Microsoft User Interface Design and Development, (accessed 2006) http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnanchor/html/anch_uidesigndev.asp
- 6.Mayhew, D.: The usability engineering lifecycle. Morgan Kauffman Publishers, San Francisco, CA (1999)Google Scholar
- 7.Mayhhew, d.: In The Human Computer Interaction Handbook. In: Julie, A., Jacko, Sears, A. (eds.) Fundamentals, Evolving Technologies and Emerging Applications, pp. 913–921. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Mahwah, NJ (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Moallem, A.: 2006 Usability Is a Culture and Not Just a Service, AIS SIGHCI Newsletter, 4(1) (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Oracle Browser Look and Feel (BLAF) Guidelines (accessed 2006) http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/blaf/index.html
- 10.SAP Design Guild Resources (accessed 2006), http://www.sapdesignguild.org/resources/resources.asp
- 11.Usability in Practice: Field Studies Evolution and Revolution (2002), http://www.interacta.fi/papers/CHI2002-Field-Studies-practitioners-track.pdf
- 12.Schmitt, C.: CSS Cookbook, Sebastopol, O’Reilly Media, Inc. (2004)Google Scholar