A Role-Based Multiple View Approach to Distributed Geo-Collaboration
We describe a role-based multiple view approach to support sharing and coordination of knowledge in geo-collaborative planning. The software coordinates multiple unshared role-specific views with one shared team view. The rationale for this approach is that: (1) it affords clear separation between role-specific and shared knowledge; (2) it leverages experts’ knowledge to filter out role-specific details; and (3) it promotes implicit sharing of strategic knowledge (i.e. about roles). We illustrate the key features implemented in a prototype to evaluate this approach, describe design requirements extracted from a paper prototype study, and discuss relevant design issues.
KeywordsMultiple Views Collaborative Visualizations Geo-Collaboration Common Ground Computer-Supported Cooperative Work (CSCW)
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Baldonado, M.Q., Woodruff, A., Kuchinsky, A.: Guidelines for Using Multiple Views in Information Visualization. In: Proceedings of AVI 2000, Palermo, Italy, pp. 110–119 (2000)Google Scholar
- 2.Clark, H.H.: Using language. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (1996)Google Scholar
- 3.Carroll, J.M., Mentis, H.M., Convertino, G., Rosson, M.B., Ganoe, C.H., Sinha, H., Zhao: Prototyping Collaborative Geospatial Emergency Planning (submitted)Google Scholar
- 4.Convertino, G., Ganoe, C.H., Schafer, W.A., Yost, B., Carroll, J.M.: A Multiple View Approach to Support Common Ground in Distributed and Synchronous Geo-Collaboration. In: Proceed. of CMV 2005. London, UK, pp. 121–132 (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Isenhour, P.L., Rosson, M.B., Carroll, J.M.: Supporting interactive collaboration on the Web with CORK. Interacting with Computers (13), Special issues on Interfaces for the Active Web, pp. 655–676 (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Schafer, W.A., Ganoe, C.H., Carroll, J.M.: Supporting Community Emergency Management Planning through a Geocollaboration Software Architecture (under review)Google Scholar
- 7.Schafer, W.A., Ganoe, C.H., Xiao, L., Coch, G., Carroll, J.M.: Designing the Next Generation of Distributed, Geocollaborative Tools. Cartography and Geographic Information Science (CaGIS), Special Issue on Geovisualization and GIScience 32(2), 81–100 (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Project webpage: http://cscl.ist.psu.edu/public/projects/ONRproject/index.html