Towards a Tag-Based User Model: How Can User Model Benefit from Tags?
Social tagging is a kind of social annotation by which users label resources, typically web objects, by means of keywords with the goal of sharing, discovering and recovering them. In this paper we investigate the possibility of exploiting the user tagging activity in order to infer knowledge about the user. Up to now the relation between tagging and user modeling seems not to have been investigated in depth. Given the widespread diffusion of web tools for collaborative tagging, it is interesting to understand how user modeling can benefit from this feedback.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ahn, J., Farzan, R., Brusilovsky, P.A: Two-Level Adaptive Visualization for Information Access to Open-Corpus Educational Resources. In: Workshop on Social Navigation and Community-Based Adaptation Technologies (AH 2006), Dublin, Ireland (June 20, 2006)Google Scholar
- 2.Allport, G.W.: Pattern and growth in personality. Rinehart and Winston, Holt, NY (1965)Google Scholar
- 3.Bateman, S., Brooks, C., McCalla, G.: Collaborative Tagging Approaches for Onto-logical Metadata in Adaptive E-Learning Systems, Workshop on Applications of Semantic Web Technologies for E-Learning (AH 2006), Dublin, Ireland (June 20, 2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Carmagnola, F., Cena, F., Console, L., Cortassa, O., Ferri, M., Gena, C., Goy, A., Parena, M., Torre, I., Toso, A., Vernero, F., Vellar, A.: iCITY – an adaptive social mobile guide for cultural events, Workshop on Mobile Guide, Italy (October 18, 2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Dix, A., Levialdi, S., Malizia, A.: Semantic Halo for Collaboration Tagging, Systems, Workshop on Social Navigation and Community-Based Adaptation Tech-nologies (AH 2006), Dublin, Ireland (June 20, 2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Strauss, A.L., Corbin, J.M.: Basics of qualitative research: techniques and procedures for developing grounded theory. SAGE, Thousand Oaks (1998)Google Scholar
- 7.van Setten, M., Brussee, R., van Vliet, H., Gazendam, L., van H uten Y., Veenstra M.: On the Importance of Who Tagged What, Workshop on Social Navigation and Community-Based Adaptation Technologies (AH 2006), Dub-lin, Ireland (June 20, 2006)Google Scholar
- 8.Xu, Z., Fu, Y., Mao, J., Su, D.: Towards the Semantic Web: Collaborative Tag Suggestions, Workshop on Collaborative Web Tagging (WWW 2006), 22. Edinburgh, Scotland (2006)Google Scholar