Alignment of Mass Spectrometry Data by Clique Finding and Optimization
Mass spectrometry (MS) is becoming a popular approach for quantifying the protein composition of complex samples. A great challenge for comparative proteomic profiling is to match corresponding peptide features from different experiments to ensure that the same protein intensities are correctly identified. Multi-dimensional data acquisition from liquid-chromatography mass spectrometry (LC-MS) makes the alignment problem harder. We propose a general paradigm for aligning peptide features using a bounded error model. Our method is tolerant of imperfect measurements, missing peaks, and extraneous peaks. It can handle an arbitrary number of dimensions of separation, and is very fast in practice even for large data sets. Finally, its parameters are intuitive and we describe a heuristic for estimating them automatically. We demonstrate results on single- and multi-dimensional data.
Keywordsmass spectrometry alignment bounded error model clique finding
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 9.Bogaerts, K., Lesaffre, E.: A new fast algorithm to find the regions of possible mass support for bivariate interval censored data. Technical Report 0312, IAP Statistics Network (2003)Google Scholar
- 10.Song, S.: Estimation with Bivariate Interval Censored Data. PhD thesis, University of Washington (2001)Google Scholar
- 11.Gentleman, R., Vandal, A.C.: Computational algorithms for censored data problems using intersection graphs. Journal of Computational and Graphical Statistics, 403–421 (2001)Google Scholar
- 14.Bellew, M., Coram, M., Fitzgibbon, M., Igra, M., Randolph, T., Wang, P., May, D., Eng, J., Fang, R., Lin, C.W., Chen, J., Goodlett, D., Whiteaker, J., Paulovich, A., McIntosh, M.: A suite of algorithms for the comprehensive analysis of complex protein mixtures using high-resolution lc-ms. Bioinformatics 22(15), 1902–1909 (2006)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Kuglin, C.D., Hines, D.C.: The phase correlation image alignment method. In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Cybernetics and Society (1975)Google Scholar
- 18.Salvador, S., Chan, P.: Fastdwt: toward accurate dynamic time warping in linear time and space. In: Proceedngs of the KDD Workshop on Mining Temporal and Sequential Data (2004)Google Scholar