High Performance Implementation of an FPGA-Based Sequential DT-CNN
In this paper an FPGA-based implementation of a sequential discrete time cellular neural network (DT-CNN) with 3×3 templates is described. The architecture is based on a single pipelined cell which is employed to emulate a CNN with larger number of neurons. This solution diminishes the use of hardware resources on the FPGA and allows the cell to process real time input data in a sequential mode. Highly efficient FPGA implementation has been achieved by manual design based on low level instantiation and placement of hardware primitives. The Intellectual Property Core offers an appropriate tradeoff between area and speed. Our architecture has been developed to assist designers implementing discrete CNN models with performance equivalent to hundreds or millions of neurons on low cost FPGA-based systems.
KeywordsCellular Neural Network Pipeline Stage Video Processing Application Sequential Discrete Time Cell Cellular Neural Network
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Chua, L.O., Yang, L.: Cellular neural networks: theory. IEEE Trans. Circuits and Systems 35 (1988)Google Scholar
- 3.Balya, D., Rekeczky, C., Roska, T.: A realistic mammalian retinal model implemented on complex cell CNN universal machine. In: IEEE Intern. Symp. on Circuits and Systems, pp. 26–29 (2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Chua, L.O.: The CNN: a brain-like computer Neural Networks. In: IEEE Intern. Joint Conference, vol. 1, pp. 25–29 (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Roska, T., Rodriguez-Vazquez, A.: Review of CMOS implementations of the CNN universal machine-type visual microprocessors. In: IEEE Int. Symp. on Circuits and Systems, ISCAS 2000, Geneva, Italia, vol. 2, pp. 120–123 (2000)Google Scholar
- 6.Linan, G., Rodriguez-Vazquez, A., Espejo, S., Dominguez-Castro, R.: ACE16K: a 128x128 focal plane analog processor with digital I/O. In: IEEE Int. Work. on Cellular Neural Networks and Their Applications, CNNA 2002, pp. 132–139 (2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Martínez, J.J., Toledo, F.J., Ferrández, J.M.: Architecture Implementation of a Discrete Cellular Neuron Model (DT-CNN) on FPGA. In: The Int. Society for Optical Engineering, Bioengineered and bioinspired systems II, pp. 332–340 (2005)Google Scholar
- 11.Xilinx Inc. Virtex-4 User Guide, data sheet(ug070) (2004), http://www.xilinx.com